Storing yeast saved from a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EyePeeEh

Reaction score
If I'm going to build an extra big starter and save some for my next batch (3-5 weeks away,) do I want to store it in the wort or should I decant first? So I don't have to buy any additional supplies, I would like to make use of some 8oz mason jars. If I decant, then can/should I store with boiled water to fill the space?

I do this a lot. I use small canning jars that I sanitize in a pressure cooker, lids and all. Typically I make a 1500mL stirred starter, and put it in the fridge when it hits high krausen. I let this settle for 24 hours. I decant half of it, then swirl vigorously and fill the jars.

Each time I use a jar I make a fresh starter. I've never tried to use one more than 2 months old - I don't think these will stay viable much longer than that.

Yes, you want to decant the liquid off of the starter, and then add some boiled, cooled water. Then the slurry goes into mason jars and into the fridge. You want to remove the beer to increase storage life.

It might just be me, but 3-5 weeks sounds like a long time to store washed yeast. I'd wash it a couple of times to make sure you have as little alcohol in there as possible, making sure you use boiled water (boiled distilled water is probably your best bet). And be insane about sanitation!

It might just be me, but 3-5 weeks sounds like a long time to store washed yeast. I'd wash it a couple of times to make sure you have as little alcohol in there as possible, making sure you use boiled water (boiled distilled water is probably your best bet). And be insane about sanitation!

I have used yeast washed with the exact method in the sticky 3-4 months later with absolutely NO problems. Others have reported success as much as a year later!!!

Yes, be a sanitation stickler, but that should be any time you are brewing or handling any aspect of the process. The amount of alcohol and trub left in the jars after using this method is VERY minimal. You have diluted and washed just about everything but pure yeast out of the jars.

Don't be skeared :D

I don't even think about it being an issue until around 4 months, and have used one at almost 6. Just make sure to get all the oxygen out of the water and they'll sleep a loooooooong time. It's one of the best stickies on here.

Brewing with my bottle harvested then washed pacman today.

pacman_wash.jpg

Taking yeast from a starter is the best way, rather than washing yeast. I do it.

Just pour 8 ozs of the starter into a sanitized Mason jar, and place in the refrigerator (lid slightly loose). Let all the yeast settle for maybe a week. Then pour off the liquid and fill with distilled water. Distilled water seems to be much better than boiled/cooled water. Tighten the cap and store in the refrigerator. Should keep for 6 months, possibly up to a year. Obviously the longer you keep it the less chance of it being viable.

Taking yeast from a starter is the best way, rather than washing yeast. I do it.

Just pour 8 ozs of the starter into a sanitized Mason jar, and place in the refrigerator (lid slightly loose). Let all the yeast settle for maybe a week. Then pour off the liquid and fill with distilled water. Distilled water seems to be much better than boiled/cooled water. Tighten the cap and store in the refrigerator. Should keep for 6 months, possibly up to a year. Obviously the longer you keep it the less chance of it being viable.

What's with the best better bs? hundreds of us follow the sticky with great results. So you have a different method...cool. That's great. No need for the pejorative tone or the insistance that your way is better.

FWIW, your way gives you one jar of saved yeast...ours gives you seven or eight!!!

Keep up the input, just watch how you frame it :mug:

That will definitely work, though not sure its the best way. :)

My 2 liter starter of pacman will easily get me 20 uses of it, at very minimal effort

Ask 10 brewers the same question, get 10 different answers. :)

Back