Remy's French Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmock

Reaction score
Tell me what you think.

It's not a Biere de Garde. It's not a Saison. What is it? A light colored dry sparkling French ale based on my standard Belgian Blond recipe. Lower in alcohol than the blond, designed for easy drinking in the heat of summer.

Here are the numbers.

6.65 lbs. (6 lbs. 10.4 oz.) Briess Brewers 2-row Malt
0.35 lb (5.6 oz.) Briess White Wheat Malt
0.35 lb (5.6 oz.)DeWolf-Cosyns Aromatic
.7 lb (11.2 oz.) cane sugar

2.5 oz Styrian Golding (2.6% AA, Pellet) @ 60 min.

WLP072 French Ale

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.010
ABV: 5.1%
IBU: 28
SRM: 3

http://www.mockwerksbrewing.com/2010/05/remys-french-ale.html

That looks tasty.
I've been thinking about creating lower alcohol yet flavorful brews.
This one looks like it'll be added to the list; since I've never used that yeast before. Thanks.

I would lager it for a week or two after it is done fermenting before bottling to really let the maltiness shine and the flavors to come together. I know my belgo-blondes really benefit from at least a cold crash. They become delicious much faster that way.

I have brewed 2 beers with that yeast 1 a Biere de Garde and 2 a Leffe Brune clone. Biere de Garde has been cold conditioning for 6 months and the Brune I have had it on oak cubes for 5 months. Not sure what the profile of the yeast is yet but I hope it's good.

The 072 profile is excellent! I have used it, made a recipe almost exactly like yours OP. Same gravity, but with some extra hopping of saaz and willamette.
The resulting flavor was ever-so-slightly phenolic, giving it a perfumey, flowery impression. I used a relatively low ferment temp (67). I think you may be able to get a whole different set of flavor and intensity by letting it go warmer, but I haven't tried.
It tastes "clean", but still gives a fine delicate yeast flavor that is delicious. I'm already planning other things to do with it now that I have it slanted to use year-round :)

And to the OP question: it does not fit the BJCP for a style, but who cares. Make up your own cool name for it! Those beers are the most fun.

Back