Gluten Free Beer Ingredient List

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not shooting for sarcastic here.

What about this:

Wyeast 1272 GF

Anyone know where to find it or have used it? I can only find it's non-GF version online.

Wow, never seen that before. Of course, somebody has to be supplying microbreweries with the yeast that they use in gluten-free beers. They probably aren't all using dry yeast.

If anyone finds a place that is actually selling this stuff, that would be great...

I've only seen it for sale once and it was a year old. I don't think Wyeast makes this regularly.

COOL!

Thanks for the sticky. My buddy has been asking me to brew a GF beer for a little bit and this will help immensely.

Something else that may help. I was successfully able to wash a gluten based yeast, since I could not get a hold of the GF liquid yeasts.

Basically, it took 5 1:10 rinsings to get the resulting slurry down to less than 10 ppm gluten (i.e. ND on the test kits). Basically, I took the 25 ml of slurry, added 250 ml sterile water, shook well, and let the yeast settle. Putting it into the fridge helped flocculate the yeast. I then poured off the top liquid (and saved it for non-GF brewing) and added 250 ml more water. At that point it was rinse and repeat.

I currently have a GF Oatmeal cocoa porter in secondary. Oats from my local brew store, as well as Oat malt (Nakid oats) also tested GF. I roasted 12 oz of each to black and then added a 1:500 dilution of amylase (which is again where it tested GF). Conversion took about 3 hours and was a complete B!%(# to sparge but it worked.

Hope that helps even more.

Kevin,

I was rather surprised myself. I actually didn't test it at the 2nd dilution, but the third and it was a marginal detect, but a detect. And so I did two more 'to be sure'.

I'll hop over to that other thread and give it a read and contribute if I can.

edit: just read it

I can see why you would be surprised. I should note I use Wyeast, not White Lab, so I have no clue what the original level was. But also, keep in mind, I was doing 10x dilutions, so by the third, I was 'only' up to a 1000x equivalent dilution.

Re the "benefit from boiling" asterisks, the chart doesn't specify those grains were malted.
I've had promising results from a small feasibility study using malted millet. Using just that and some hop extract I got something like a bland European lager.

I'm going to brew a GF beer for a friend and am looking for something I also might enjoy.
I'm thinking of a making dark beer, and I see dark candi sugar mentioned a lot. Is the Belgian dark syrup acceptable as well? It has a lot more color and flavor than the candi sugfar, and I have several bottles on hand.

I'm going to brew a GF beer for a friend and am looking for something I also might enjoy.
I'm thinking of a making dark beer, and I see dark candi sugar mentioned a lot. Is the Belgian dark syrup acceptable as well? It has a lot more color and flavor than the candi sugfar, and I have several bottles on hand.

Sure. There's a pretty wide variety of 'belgian candi' out there, from hard rock sugar to soft granulated sugar to syrups, and they can all be used, of course with somewhat differing results and various personal preferences.

Has anyone looked into Clarity Ferm by by White Labs? It's a clarifying agent that has the side effect of reducing gluten in beers. Papazian had a batch of his homebrew tested for gluten after using it and it came back as less than 5 parts per million.

I've been using it in my beers lately- just brewing whatever I want and adding Clarity Ferm. Don't have the money to get it tested, and since brewing with it all my gluten free friends have disappeared so I can't try it out on them, but this is a credible option.

For even better results, brew an all grain batch and use a wort chiller, which will reduce the proteins in the beer even more. Then some Clarity Ferm and voila! Should have some low gluten if not gluten free beer.

^don't know anything about it, but it is a interesting idea.

edit: send me some and I will have my wife try it out for you! lol

Quick question: Is Cooper's Dry Ale Yeast Gluten Free? Have some I need to use up and I promised a friend that I would take a shot at a Gluten Free beer. (Looking at a Sorghum/Rice/Roasted Buckwheat (Steeped) with a Hallertau/Tetnager hop profile.)

Also have some Danstar Windsor yeast that I need to use which is gluten free.

Also, Maltodextrin is generally regarded as Gluten Free. I am buying some from Morebeer.com. Anyone know if maltodextrin from here is gluten free?

Sorry for double posting. Posted this in a thread below by accident when I meant it to be here.

Quick question: Is Cooper's Dry Ale Yeast Gluten Free? Have some I need to use up and I promised a friend that I would take a shot at a Gluten Free beer. (Looking at a Sorghum/Rice/Roasted Buckwheat (Steeped) with a Hallertau/Tetnager hop profile.)

Also have some Danstar Windsor yeast that I need to use which is gluten free.

Also, Maltodextrin is generally regarded as Gluten Free. I am buying some from Morebeer.com. Anyone know if maltodextrin from here is gluten free?

Sorry for double posting. Posted this in a thread below by accident when I meant it to be here.

Unsure about Coopers, I have never really used it. You may send an email to the company.

Chances are very high that Morebeer has GF malto, but you can always ask them.

I believe that coopers is GF, but I never confirmed with the company. I am extremely sensitive to gluten and I use it in some of my beers and it never made me sick so i would guess probably okay.

This is a great thread DK, nice work.

I believe that coopers is GF, but I never confirmed with the company. I am extremely sensitive to gluten and I use it in some of my beers and it never made me sick so i would guess probably okay.

This is a great thread DK, nice work.

Thanks for the Coopers info. I did email the company for confirmation, but have not yet received a reply. I have Danstar Windsor and Nottingham on hand as well just in case.

MoreBeer is checking with their maltodextrin supplier as well, but I am pretty sure it is ok.

OK.. I got replies from both Morebeer and Coopers Brewery:

MoreBeer's Maltodextrin is isolated from Corn, so it should be gluten free. (I guess there is always the possibility that it is made on the same line as wheat products, but generally it seems that GF brewers use maltodextrin without issues)

Coopers Dry Ale Yeast is also gluten free according to their customer support.

I just brewed a GF beer using a special millet from thehomebrewconnection.com rather than sorghum and it turned out tasting like real beer for a change. Has anyone else tried it and gotten the same result?

I just brewed a GF beer using a special millet from thehomebrewconnection.com rather than sorghum and it turned out tasting like real beer for a change. Has anyone else tried it and gotten the same result?

Here in England I malted some millet myself and did a 1 litre test with it; tried to do a stepped mash, added a bit of sugar to get the gravity up, hop extract, amylase, pectoalse, nutrient and yeast.
Agreeably surprised by how good it was.

whats up guys. back to the potato thing; what if you boiled the potatoes (steeped w/e to get the starchy water) then added beano. doesn't that break down starches? or does it break down something else?

Thanks for this, Can't wait to try this out. It's nice to know that everyone can enjoy their beer even though they are allergic to certain substances like gluten.

Hey guys, I tried and failed at malting millet; whats the secret to your success? I used a cooler with a screen in it, drained it twice a day for 3 days, although it kept heating up - maybe I should have left the lid open, and put it outside? What is the ideal temp for malting millet anyway, and does millet heat up by itself as it is soaking? Would aerating the water help? Do you put them out to dry before, or after they start sprouting (mine never even started)? Is millet from the Bulk Barn okay to use? I get the feeling it has to be done very carefully.

I'm sure this has been considered, but can you use beans as a fermentable? I really don't like the taste of surghum, trying to think of something else! Not sure what abean brew would taste like .. .or smell like!

If you did manage to make a beer out of beans, I fail to see from where the malt flavor would come. I'm not saying you shouldn't give it a go, but I really don't see it being beer. Maybe it'd be in it's own class of alcoholic beverages like sake. Unrelated to this, equating or drawing a parallel between oats and quinoa/ amaranth isn't perfect. I see how nutritionally speaking they made be made up of roughly the same macronutrients (carbs, fats, and proteins), but the analogy stops there. Quinoa, though higher in protein, is not going to give you a remotely close flavor profile to oats. It doesn't lend itself to a creamy mouthfeel, but helps with head retention. Quinoa can also give similar characteristics to the variations of roasted barley as long as similar roasting procedures are followed.

DougmanXL, you need to make sure that the millet you are using has not been treated in any way.
I know that any millet coming into New Zealand is irradiated so it can't sprout and is therefore useless as far as malting is concerned.
If the millet didn't even start to sprout I would say there is something wrong with it and you should try a different supplier.

I'm sure this has been considered, but can you use beans as a fermentable? I really don't like the taste of surghum, trying to think of something else! Not sure what abean brew would taste like .. .or smell like!

bean beer... hmm... interesting idea... they actually make pretty killer brownies..
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/black-bean-brownies-recipe/index.html

If you did manage to make a beer out of beans, I fail to see from where the malt flavor would come. I'm not saying you shouldn't give it a go, but I really don't see it being beer. Maybe it'd be in it's own class of alcoholic beverages like sake. Unrelated to this, equating or drawing a parallel between oats and quinoa/ amaranth isn't perfect. I see how nutritionally speaking they made be made up of roughly the same macronutrients (carbs, fats, and proteins), but the analogy stops there. Quinoa, though higher in protein, is not going to give you a remotely close flavor profile to oats. It doesn't lend itself to a creamy mouthfeel, but helps with head retention. Quinoa can also give similar characteristics to the variations of roasted barley as long as similar roasting procedures are followed.

thanks for all that info. even if you did choose a name eerily close to molester ;)
just picking... I do appreciate the info. :mug:

DougmanXL, you need to make sure that the millet you are using has not been treated in any way.
I know that any millet coming into New Zealand is irradiated so it can't sprout and is therefore useless as far as malting is concerned.
If the millet didn't even start to sprout I would say there is something wrong with it and you should try a different supplier.

Yeah it didn't sprout at all... stupid bulk barn probably does that. Thanks, guess I'll have to try and find another supplier...

Great info, DKershner. I lived in Bend for many years and miss it immensely. I was in town recently and stopped off at Deschutes. The new pub is amazing. They also mentioned they will be bottling their GF beer soon.

Great info, DKershner. I lived in Bend for many years and miss it immensely. I was in town recently and stopped off at Deschutes. The new pub is amazing. They also mentioned they will be bottling their GF beer soon.

Blacklab, Deschutes started out their GF beer using my chestnuts chips. a few years back. Great hit. Brewmaster left and went on own. Program drop and when restarted went to other GF subs. Go to Google and bring up Guten Free Chestnut Beer. Reviews and articles on Trails eEnd Chestnuts will cover most of 1st two pages

Leeinwa

n00b question regarding Oats...

This list says they add mouthfeel and body, but is seems they are typically used in Stouts and Porters. Would these work well in lighter styles? I prefer IPA's.

thanantos said:
n00b question regarding Oats...

This list says they add mouthfeel and body, but is seems they are typically used in Stouts and Porters. Would these work well in lighter styles? I prefer IPA's.

I use oats all the time in my barley based IPA recipes and pale ales too. Just be careful to ensure no cross contamination. You pretty much have to buy them online to ensure they are gluten free for Celiac purposes because oats are usually processed in wheat facilities on the same equipment (like LD Carlson's flaked oats are) or grown in a field rotated with wheat. A lot of the GF boards will say that is too much gluten. If you are only moderately sensitive you may be able to get away with the bulk bin rolled oats at Whole Foods (or other grocery store) which is what I like to use for pricing purposes. Just make sure to mash them while adding Amylase Enzyme (made by LD Carlson and available at most home brew supply shops).

I use oats all the time in my barley based IPA recipes and pale ales too. Just be careful to ensure no cross contamination. You pretty much have to buy them online to ensure they are gluten free for Celiac purposes because oats are usually processed in wheat facilities on the same equipment (like LD Carlson's flaked oats are) or grown in a field rotated with wheat. A lot of the GF boards will say that is too much gluten. If you are only moderately sensitive you may be able to get away with the bulk bin rolled oats at Whole Foods (or other grocery store) which is what I like to use for pricing purposes. Just make sure to mash them while adding Amylase Enzyme (made by LD Carlson and available at most home brew supply shops).

Thanks, I think I might give it a try with some Bob's Red Mill oats from the health food store.

Thanks for the great info. Question: does anyone know if Amylase enzyme will act as both alpha and beta amylase on wild rice liquid, in place of using malt?

John_Ferens said:
Thanks for the great info. Question: does anyone know if Amylase enzyme will act as both alpha and beta amylase on wild rice liquid, in place of using malt?

I couldn't find an answer either, so I am just assuming its both since it doesn't specify. I figured it would be on the Internet if it only worked as one or the other...

It depends on the brand of amylase. Crosby and Baker is pure alpha, and won't give you much fermentables. ECKraus "Diatase" [sic] has both, and seems to work well enough on rice. Just don't use it on quinoa, oats, amaranth, or anything with lots of grain dust. The elevated proteins and beta-glucans in these grains, as well as the raw cellulose in the grain dust, will make it difficult to get a clear fermentable wort with just amylase.

I want to point out that GF oats are oats that are not contaminated with gluten from other grains.

Oats have a naturally occuring protein called avenin which is very similar to gluten and can cause a reaction in some people with coeliac disease. So even GF oats may cause problems for some people.

This is something to be aware of if you or someone you know is hyper-sensitive to gluten.

Link to more info
http://www.celiac.com/categories/Celiac-Disease-and-Oats:-Are-They-Gluten%2dFree?/

Back