Yeast going crazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddiebud

Reaction score
Ok, so I had read about overflow but hadn't paid much attention because we didn't have the issue with the first batch we made. Well now I'm attempting to make a batch of Graff and I just walked in to the pantry to see the carboy practically exploding the top off the airlock. There's juice filling 3/4 of the airlock and it's foaming slightly out the top. Do I need to worry about this and if so, how can I release the pressure?

You could always install a blow off tube:

bbbot.jpg

My problem is I don't have the materials to make one and I'm home right now with three small kids. How bad does it get? The carboy won't break or anything if I leave it, will it?

I use a plastic bucket to ferment in but the process is the same.

Remove airlock from top. Clean and sanitize grommet/airlock hole. Insert sanitized tube end into grommet (a 1/4 inch insertion will do). Fill a tall cup with one cup of water, insert other end of tube into water cup. Cup should be on the floor.

This will allow extra pressure to release and provide an exit for liquid stuff should it blow. Ensure that one end stays in the water as you don't want bacteria or bugs to crawl up your tube.

After a week or so I just put the airlock back on.

+1 to this... however be sure to not just use water... make it a solution of oxy-clean/pbw/starsan/// or Iodine to be sure that its a sanitary solution that won't attract those nasty little buggers (Fruit flies)... You can always just jam a long racking tube into the stopper and do what was explained above...

ok, thanks so much guys for the quick response. I've got my bottling tube and I'm going to sanitize with easy clean and then just use that water to run the hose into. Does that sound about right?

Thanks so much for the help. Nothing like a little overflow problem to bring a forum stalker out of the shadows. :)

You should be fine doing that. After a day or so, it should calm down enough to just use your airlock again.

Back