Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd38

Reaction score
Headed to chicago this weekend for company christmas party. Wondering if any decent pubs/restaurants that offer a good beer selection for us homebrewers. Company is in Lombard, party in Downers Grove on friday but staying an extra night till sunday. Last year we all went to Champs but that is just a run of the mill but $$ bar. So were can I find some of the northern micro/craft brews that I cant find in texas.

Piece is my favorite. Great beer, great pizza.

http://www.piecechicago.com/beer/index.html

2009 Gold - Great American Beer Festival - Top Heavy Hefeweizen
2009 Bronze - Great American Beer Festival - Fornicator
2008 Silver - Great American Beer Festival - Dark & Curvy Dunkelweizen
2007 Silver - Great American Beer Festival - Dark & Curvy Dunkelweizen
2007 Bronze - Great American Beer Festival - Top Heavy Hefeweizen
2007 Bronze - Great American Beer Festival - Full Frontal Pale Ale
2006 World Beer Cup Champion - Small Brewpub and Brewmaster
2006 Gold Medal - Great American Beer Festival - Worryin' Ale
2006 Bronze Medal - Great American Beer Festival - Fornicator
2006 Gold Medal – World Beer Cup – Top Heavy Hefeweizen
2006 Gold Medal – World Beer Cup – Worryin’ Ale
2005 Gold Medal – Great American Beer Festival – Top Heavy Hefeweizen
2005 Gold Medal – Great American Beer Festival – Dysfunctionale
2004 Bronze Medal – World Beer Cup – Golden Arm
2004 Silver Medal – World Beer Cup – Wingnut
2003 Gold Medal – Real Ale Fest – Wingnut
2002 Bronze Medal – World Beer Cup – Golden Arm
2002 Bronze Medal – Great American Beer Festival – Golden Arm
2002 Silver Meadal – World Beer Cup – Worryin’ Ale

I think I'll have to make a trek to Piece this weekend. I've never heard of the place, but it looks to be a great place.

Piece is owned by one of the guys from Cheap Trick. Don't try to go on the weekends unless you're into the college-post-college party-hardy crowd. It's loud, packed, and impossible to get a drink.

During the week it's fine.

Piece is owned by one of the guys from Cheap Trick. Don't try to go on the weekends unless you're into the college-post-college party-hardy crowd. It's loud, packed, and impossible to get a drink.

Nevermind. Being from Rockford (the birthplace of cheap trick), I have to put up with their "famousness" all over the place here. He's also trying to build a place called Rick's but the funding fell through or something. I also can't stand his son and their crappy band, so I wouldn't want to chance seeing them by going in there. Maybe I'll go in during the week someday and hope to God I don't run into any of them.

^^ This

and its also true for the entire area!

www.hopleaf.com.... I love that place

I was just up there for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I dropped off the kids at a Weezer concert, and went to Hopleaf to check it out...:ban:
I told SWMBO it's a damn good thing I don't live up there any more. I'd be in a LOT of trouble!!! That was the best selection of Belgians that I've ever seen on tap!

After the bus crash last week, they almost weren't. But the kids, and even SWMBO , enjoyed the show. Not as much as I enjoyed Hopleaf, though !!! :ban:

I was just up there for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I dropped off the kids at a Weezer concert, and went to Hopleaf to check it out...:ban:
I told SWMBO it's a damn good thing I don't live up there any more. I'd be in a LOT of trouble!!! That was the best selection of Belgians that I've ever seen on tap!
try the Map Room :rockin:

try the Map Room :rockin:

Been there. I didn't like the bartender, or the general "attitude" of the crowd.(Must be a sign on my age!) Beer selection was good, but I think that Hopleaf has a better one, at least as far as Belgians are concerned.

No one wants to mention the Bavarian Lodge in Lisle? Whats the matter with you guys?! :)

yeah the McCarthy Red at Emmetts is gooood, though its been inconsistent in my experience.

Been there. I didn't like the bartender, or the general "attitude" of the crowd.(Must be a sign on my age!) Beer selection was good, but I think that Hopleaf has a better one, at least as far as Belgians are concerned.

I went there saturday for the first time, and man was it awesome. Admittedly, it was my birthday, and I went early with 6 people, so we got some tables to ourselves.

Got to try a whole bunch of stuff for the first time. Awesome.

...yeah the McCarthy Red at Emmetts is gooood, though its been inconsistent in my experience.
I must've gotten a good one, then! Only had it once about this time last year.

The Map Room is a big favorite of my wife and me. We usually hit Silver Cloud first for food, then walk to The Map Room.

Is there anything downtown in the area of McCormick Place (conference center)? I had heard there's not much around that area unless you hop in a cab.

A few blocks west (away from the lake), and a few more north, there might be a few places on south State St or Michigan Ave, though my assumption would be that they are college bars. Hop a (very short) cab ride up to the middle of town to a place called Russian Tea Time. They've got some interesting imports. Baltica 3,5,6,7,8,9,425, etc. Other than that, you've gotta go pretty far north... afaik.

Is there anything downtown in the area of McCormick Place (conference center)? I had heard there's not much around that area unless you hop in a cab.

I've done a lot of work in that area in the last few years, and the only place that I can think of off the top of my head is at 18th and Michigan, called Kroll's. Good good, a couple of craft beers on tap.
Other than that, you're definitely looking at hopping a cab or getting something to bring back to the hotel.

There's a great liquor store right across the street from Goose Island's Clyborn brewpub.
Just a couple blocks north of CTA North ave red line stop.

You're referring to Sam's. Great selection, and pretty knowledgable staff, including some very good beer-geeks. I believe that a member here works there, also.

Whole Foods (which has a surprisingly good selection) and Binny's, with a selection just as good as Sam's, are a lot closer though.

I'm pretty sure I heard on the news that Binny's bought Sam's, although I haven't been to see for myself for since.

Would have been competing with themselves, since they bought the Sam's down the street.

"Binny’s had agreed to buy a vacant Circuit City in Downers Grove in April and turn the store into a Binny’s, but the deal didn’t close."

Back