Crazy braggot idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Back in Jan/Feb, my roommate made a barleywine that turned out to be a lot less volume than he expected. He got less than 3g out of it and after racking, might have 1.5-2g left. It's way too sweet and generally just not super drinkable.

He was gonna pitch some champagne yeast to dry it out, but we decided it might just be a fun idea to use mead to dry it out. I thought that repitching might not be good if the alcohol content is too high and might overwhelm the dry yeast.

The plan? We made a 2g with ~6# honey mead today and pitched D47. After about a week, we'll rack the sweet barleywine into the happily fermenting mead to make...BRAGGOTWINE.

Any ideas how bad this is gonna be? :)

I wasn't sure the current alcohol % in the existing barleywine would be too much for the yeast to get started. Figured I would use the mead must as a "starter" to get the yeast going strong before adding the barleywine.

Back