just starting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock_town_brewer

Reaction score
hi i actually havent started yet and im just wondering what the best kit would be to buy. but i also want to use my own recipes none of that pre made stuff if you have an ideas i would greatly appreciate it thanks

This is a pretty standard starter. It doesn't have a carboy for secondary, but that just allows you to get a Better Bottle instead :)

Also, if I may give a little unrequested advice: if you're just starting off, kits are not a bad idea. If you want to buy your ingredients separate, then at least use some of the recipes here on the boards. Creating your own recipes is pretty advanced and requires an in-depth knowledge of brewing.

Good luck!

:mug:

I am like you. Just starting out and getting ready to order my first set of supplies. I felt like you in that using an ingredient kit is like cheating, but I think we are better off doing our first several brews from a kit and branch out from there. That way it is easier for us to learn the process. Brew a couple kits, start doing your own recipes then, eventually move to all grain, etc.
Just my opinion

+1 to Madman. I'd suggest doing a kit first and if you feel it went well and no major problems then try your hand at a PM (partial mash). I'd recommend doing PMs for a while (there are some GREAT threads (with pics!) on these forums). Once you feel you are a master (I doubt I will EVER feel that way ;) ) take the plunge into AG brewing.
I think you can pretty much control recipes and do your own with PMs but with AG you will have complete control? :)
Enjoy!

Back