Gluten Free Beer Ingredient List

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I apologize if this is in the thread already, but I couldn't seem to find it anywhere. I've used a couple, and plan to use several more recipes (several found on the forum) that use buckwheat. I want to use BeerSmith to catalog the process given the functionality and everything else, but don't know the stats for buckwheat... has anyone else manually uploaded into BS/BS2?

Thanks a ton!
MGD

Malted or unmalted buckwheat?

Hmmmm... I was thinking malted when I wrote the original email, but I suppose to the extent someone has the stats handy, I'd love to know both - as I'm not quite educated enough on the topic yet to do the calculations, etc. myself.

Thanks!

I would think that the stats are impossible to know with any confidence beforehand. My recommendation is to ball-park it around 34 ppg and maybe a 50-60% extract efficiency, calculate the recipe around that, but keep some extract or other sugar source on hand in case you fall short of your target OG. That's how I do it, anyway. I take a gravity reading after lautering, adjust for temperature and boil-off, and then figure out what my efficiency was based on an estimated 34 ppg. Then I calculate how much sugar/extract/whatever to add to the boil to reach my desired OG.

my friend only tolerates gluten free stuff, so every time we go out for a drink, he can only find gluten free beers..kinda sucks.

Yeasts that are completely gluten free:
  • All Fermentis Safale and Saflager Dry Yeasts - US05, S04, S33, T58, WB06, etc.
  • All Danstar/Lallemand/DCL Labs Dry Yeast Products - Nottingham, Windsor, etc.
  • Red Star Wine and Champagne Yeast - Montrachet, Pasteur, etc.

Yeasts that are almost gluten free:
  • White Labs Yeast - All including Wine and Mead Yeast
    [*]This Yeast contains 12ppm in the slurry, a number slightly above the less than 10ppm requirement to be called gluten free. However, the final product (5gal of beer) only has 2ppm.​

Yeasts that are not gluten free:
  • Any Wyeast Yeast, including Wine and Mead Yeast

For strategies on how to reduce or eliminate gluten from yeast, see this link.

Where's LALVIN on that scale?

I'm wondering if tree nuts can be used to make brews? I grew up in southern California where oak trees are only outnumbered by their acorns abounding. After removing the tannins they are usually as sweet as roasted almonds. I've often wondered if I could use the unwanted nuts to a brewing advantage. Do you think it would work?

Without having used acorns myself, I did a lot of reading on it last year. You can get something out of them, but it is recommended to use white oak, and others that are less bitter. In Central California all we have are scrub and black oak.

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

Without having used acorns myself, I did a lot of reading on it last year. You can get something out of them, but it is recommended to use white oak, and others that are less bitter. In Central California all we have are scrub and black oak.

Sent from my XT1080 using Home Brew mobile app

Nice. I live in Washington now, and have for the past five years, but I was born in San Luis Obispo. I know a few good white oak spots, though the county has just about every kind you can think of, except maybe garry. Live oak I think is almost as sweet as white, and I know there's more of them in my old area.

Thanks for the help. I'm not going there anytime soon, but its good to know for when I do. I might live up here, but the Central Coast is still my dear, sweet home!

Hope you're getting some rain there.. here it just won't stop!
~BV

awesome info here. My aunt is gluten free as her body cant tolerate it. She hasnt had many beers that are gluten free! Now I can brew some for her and everyone to taste!

awesome info here. My aunt is gluten free as her body cant tolerate it. She hasnt had many beers that are gluten free! Now I can brew some for her and everyone to taste!

Funny thing is that the only Gluten Free beer I've ever seen on the market has been so low in Alc. % that it was like near-beer. I'm happy to learn that there's ways to brew beer that are capable of making a good Alc. content, else what's the point? If you wan near-beer, get yourself some Kambucha.. Its easier to brew, tastes similar and is better for most people, anyway.

Funny thing is that the only Gluten Free beer I've ever seen on the market has been so low in Alc. % that it was like near-beer. I'm happy to learn that there's ways to brew beer that are capable of making a good Alc. content, else what's the point? If you wan near-beer, get yourself some Kambucha.. Its easier to brew, tastes similar and is better for most people, anyway.

Tried that Kambucha.....let's just say it's not for me.

Actually, IMHO, the challenge is creating a GF with body that has a low alcohol content. It's much easier to make a good GF beer at 7% than 4% in my experience.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

So what do you use for getting that 7%? I found by accident that chewing licorice root and drinking a light-flavoured beer (like pabst or mickey's) made the beer taste like a more full-bodied, amber ale. I'm set to trying a beer with some root pieces included, someday. The only drawback is it makes the carbonation froth up, so I don't know if it'll be good unless I'm not picky about it turning out flat. Still, if you're interested in cheting like that with herbs, I suggest you give it a try. Fir tips, rosemary, lemon verbena, lime peel, wood chips or nuts.. all might be good for improving the taste.

So what do you use for getting that 7%? I found by accident that chewing licorice root and drinking a light-flavoured beer (like pabst or mickey's) made the beer taste like a more full-bodied, amber ale. I'm set to trying a beer with some root pieces included, someday. The only drawback is it makes the carbonation froth up, so I don't know if it'll be good unless I'm not picky about it turning out flat. Still, if you're interested in cheting like that with herbs, I suggest you give it a try. Fir tips, rosemary, lemon verbena, lime peel, wood chips or nuts.. all might be good for improving the taste.

Well, it's been a while since I've kept up with the goings on around here and the GF beer movement moves fast, but IMHO the best mouth feel and body your going to get is from sorghum. If you can handle the after taste it's the closest to wheat beer us GF brewers have available.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

Looks like my next beer will be a GF simcoe IPA... I will report back with recipe and findings!

Sorghum is the only gluten free extract out now. Unless you use beet sugar or Belgian candy. Although I just found a Colorado company that sells malted gluten free grains, millet and buckwheat. Grouse Malting and Roasting company. Awesome malts. I ordered 75lbs, a bit of all they offer. Did my first all-grain gluten free orange honey wit with some millet malt and buckwheat malt. A little harder to mash GF grains but well worth it. After mash of 11.5lb grist and boil ended up with OG of 1.054 yes .010 came from honey but 1.044 was my target gravity. Now it's time for an all-grain IPA and a Stout

Ok, so this is self promotion....There is now rice malt available. Pale rice malt all the way through "Gas Hog" similar to black patent malt. I have a small gluten free artisan rice malting facility in Chico, CA sourcing rice from the Sacramento valley. My malts are currently available from NorCal Brewing Solutions, but could be carried by your local home brew shop. Rice malt does not have the aftertaste that sorghum has. Great tasting home brewed gluten free beer could be in your future!

Ricemaltster. Thx for the disclosure. How fermentable are your rice malts? A pale ale smash beer would be expected to ferment out close to 1.010 in my experience. Would all pale rice malt end the same? Or would it be drier?

BTW, love that you are back home in NorCal.

My lightest beers have been lagers that use majority pale rice malt with very little colored grain. These have finished at 1.010 or even lower. I like a more robust beer, so I am generally adding biscuit malt and/or darker malts to build body and character. Generally, these are finishing in the range of 1.010 to 1.016. Heavier, more complex ones are even higher. I hope this answers your question.

Hopefully this wasn't already covered in a previous post in this thread, but I contacted Al at East Coast Yeast and he said that his yeast/bacteria is propagated in a solution containing 3.3% malt extract. I'm not sure what this would translate to in ppm, but it seems pretty small. Has anyone had any experiences brewing GF beers using ECY yeast and, if so, what was your experience?

If you slant it on gluten free media and grow up from that then it should be gluten free at that point.

Streaking on a petri will get you GF, slanting will probably get you close enough. About half of ECY products are blends and bugs that may not lend well to culturing from isolates at a hobby level.

From the first post:

> No enzymes, so they must be added, typically amylase is used.

what happens if amylase is not used?

Since chestnuts are not malted there is still a lot on carbs in them that are not fermentable. Amylase breaks them down into sugars that can be converted to alcohol.

Does anybody know of an online retailer that offer liquid rice extract in 1 gal containers? I can't seem to find it anywhere and my LHBS does not carry it. Would be nice to have on hand (rather than sorghum) for those all grain days where I don't hit my target gravity.

I know, I was never able to find the Briess rice syrup either. Anywhere. Dried rice extract is a good sustitute I think. More shelf stable and readily available to boot.

Back