extra white sorghum extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safedude

Reaction score
I have about 2# of extra white sorghum extract. I'm thinking about picking up some small batch carboys. Any recommendations as to what I can do with the sorghum? I was thinking of clearing out some space in my cooler and attempting a sort of pseudo-pilsner. However, I can't seem to find any reputable recipes.

One reason you may not be finding a lot of gluten-free Pilsner recipes is that they probably don't work very well with gluten free ingredients, particularly sorghum. I think Pilsners are usually lightly hopped so you are tasting the malt character. A lot of us use hops and other ingredients like belgian candy syrup, honey and maltodextrin to get extract batches with sorghum to taste and feel more like barley beer. That is why you see a lot of hop forward ale recipes.

If you are Celiac, sensitive to gluten or trying to make beer for someone that is, then I would try a hop forward pale ale instead of a pilsner. Otherwise I would research some baking use for the sorghum syrup and don't bother making beer with it.

I use sorghum syrup to make GF yeast starters.
By making multiple rounds of starters you can culture yeast away from the gluten containing media they are purchaced in.
I was feeling limited by the few available dry yeast strains, but now that I am culturing yeast there are many new yeast options available.
I now have GF cultures of 3711, conan, and WPL300...its been fun to get away from US-05 (its a nice yeast, just not what I want in every beer).

Back