Flaked millet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you use amylase, the flaked millet will probably work very well as a base malt.
I grind hulled millet from the grocery store and mash it with amylase as a base malt; and have often thought that using flaked millet would be easier...but flaked millet is uncomon/expensive here so I have never had the chance to try it.

please report back with your results.

If you use amylase, the flaked millet will probably work very well as a base malt.
I grind hulled millet from the grocery store and mash it with amylase as a base malt; and have often thought that using flaked millet would be easier...but flaked millet is uncomon/expensive here so I have never had the chance to try it.

please report back with your results.

If I do it, I'll let you know. My issue at the moment is that there is so little information that I don't know what I'm doing! Do you know where I can find the extracted sugar potential of these ingredients?

If I do it, I'll let you know. My issue at the moment is that there is so little information that I don't know what I'm doing! Do you know where I can find the extracted sugar potential of these ingredients?

I dont know the extract potential of unmalted millet, but it is my base malt of chioce.

My typical (5.5 gal) grain bill would look like the following.
8 lbs millet
2 lbs buckwheat
4 to 5 lbs Eckert rice specialty malts

I mash at 170 to 180 F with 2 Tbsp Termamyl amylase for 2 hours.
lower the temperature to 150 F ( I add ice), and add 2 tbsp AMG300 (beta amylase).
Rest for 15 to 45 minutes (depending on how dry you want the beer).
Sparge and boil as usual.

This should get you close.

I dont know the extract potential of unmalted millet, but it is my base malt of chioce.

My typical (5.5 gal) grain bill would look like the following.
8 lbs millet
2 lbs buckwheat
4 to 5 lbs Eckert rice specialty malts

I mash at 170 to 180 F with 2 Tbsp Termamyl amylase for 2 hours.
lower the temperature to 150 F ( I add ice), and add 2 tbsp AMG300 (beta amylase).
Rest for 15 to 45 minutes (depending on how dry you want the beer).
Sparge and boil as usual.

This should get you close.

Thank you for that. I think I'll just assume that it is 1.036 - like most gluten grains. How would I go about adding the rice? I'm in London, England so my source for GF brewing will be health shops and supermarkets! (On that thought, we can get flaked millet and flaked buckwheat on most high streets as health food shops stock it).

If you can not get malted rice in the UK, you might add 1 lb of amber or dark candy syrup instead (add it after the boil). It will add color and some flavor. Lightly toasting some of the buckwheat will also add some grainy/malty flavors.

As for the high mash temperatures, the numbers are correct. I specified the use of the alpha amylase "Termamyl" because it is thermally stable. It is quite active in the 160 to 190 F range, and is only denatured by boiling temperatures. Using a thermally stable amylase allows you to gelatinize the starches in the millet and digest them into dextrins during a single mash step.

I would keep the second 150F rest on the short end, maybe even shorter than I recomended. Yesterday I took the final gravity of a porter that used a 15 min rest at 150 F (with AMG300), and it finished at 1.009.

Latest posts

Back