did i kill my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbabyboy4021x

Reaction score
so i started my first brew and had it in the primary fermentor and after i added the yeast the airlock was bubbling quite a bit and so after about a day in the fermentor i decided to take a specific gravity reading but i dont have a sample jar to put the beer in to test with my hydrometer so i dunked the hydrometer in sanitizer and just dropped the hydrometer in the bucket and now after 2 days of fermenting the airlock has completely stopped bubbling, did the sanitizer on the hydrometer kill my yeast or did it just slow down because its been fermenting a few days? i just took a SG reading and its at 1.020 and this recipe says the FG is sposta be 1.007-1.010

It's fine. 2 days it is still in the middle of fermenting. The reason it isn't bubbling anymore is you opened the lid and let all the CO2 out. Leave it for a couple of weeks and you'll be good to go,

No need to take readings before 1 week. You will find once it is fermenting, it is almost impossible to kill the yeast.

ive been reading alot of things saying that it can go to secondary once the FG is right, and that usually takes 3-7 days, is that wrong?

Relax. You are fermenting in a bucket, and when you replaced the lid, you didn't seal it completely. This will allow the CO2 to escape around the edge of the lid instead of forcing it through the airlock. This is common, and will not cause any problems. Just leave it alone for at least another week, preferably 2, and then think about taking another gravity reading. If, when you open the lid, there is still krausen, then don't even bother taking a reading. Put the lid back on, and wait for another week. Eventually, you will get a reading, and it should be close to your FG. You can then take another reading about 3 days later, and if the gravity hasn't changed, the beer is ready for bottling. This doesn't mean that you have to bottle it then, you can leave it for another week or two without causing any damage. In fact, the beer will probably be better if you leave it in contact with the yeast for 7 - 14 days after fermentation has completed, giving the yeasts time to clean up after themselves.

-a.

there is no more foam on top of the beer at all really, the other day wen i opened it there was a lot of foam but now there is none after only 2 days

ive been reading alot of things saying that it can go to secondary once the FG is right, and that usually takes 3-7 days, is that wrong?

Technically yes. You don't want to rush the beer though. I leave all of my beer in the fermenter for a MINIMUM of 10 days (wheat). Just RDWHAHB, leave it in the primary for 3 weeks, then bottle. As a beginner, and unless you are dry hopping or doing something special, there is no real need for a clearing tank.

there is no more foam on top of the beer at all really, the other day wen i opened it there was a lot of foam but now there is none after only 2 days

STOP LOOKING AT IT!!!! If you open the lid one more time before 10 days is up i will get on a plane to lincoln and slap you in the face. RDWHAHB! Everything is fine :mug:

Back