Newbie question about sugars and yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curbdawg

Reaction score
Whats a general idea for knowing how much yeast will ferment how much sugar? Is it possible for a yeast to die out before all the sugar has been fermented because of not using enough yeast??

Can you use to much yeast and not enough sugar and have a bad taste/flavor?

I'm just starting to learn the whole process and know this is probally one of the mosre basic questions for it was hard for me to search for it in these forums. I usally see use one package of said wine yeast per 5 gallons cider. Is each yeast different as far as how much sugar it can ferment? Thanks in advance

Whats a general idea for knowing how much yeast will ferment how much sugar? Is it possible for a yeast to die out before all the sugar has been fermented because of not using enough yeast??

Can you use to much yeast and not enough sugar and have a bad taste/flavor?

I'm just starting to learn the whole process and know this is probally one of the mosre basic questions for it was hard for me to search for it in these forums. I usally see use one package of said wine yeast per 5 gallons cider. Is each yeast different as far as how much sugar it can ferment? Thanks in advance

Well, most wine yeast strains will ferment from 13-15% ABV. So, you could choose a stain that may ferment to the upper limits of that, and in a good healthy fermentation, you can even push that up a bit. You could probably easily get a wine up to 18% by using champagne yeast. It's not the amount of yeast you pitch (the yeast will reproduce) but pitching an appropriate amount of yeast will guarantee a healthier fermentation with no weird flavors. Stressed yeast produce strange and usually unwanted flavors, so you have to try to make it happy. Yeast is a living organism, so with some care, it'll ferment just tine.

Back