How to not look ignorant in Europe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I'm piping in a little late. I lived in the UK for a while and traveled through the Continent as well (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France). If you want to not stand out as American, clothes are key as others have mentioned. "Sneakers" are generally not worn. Otherwise, non-labeled generic-type clothes should do fine. There is a difference in European cuts on clothes, however. Pants are a little straighter, jackets are a little tighter and end not much below the waist, etc. (All generalities, of course.) The other important thing is to look like you know what you're doing and where you're going. Even if you're walking into a corner, act like you meant to go to that corner!:cross:

When my wife and I were traveling through the Continent, we subconsciously tried to not stand out as American. But we generally wore clothes with a European flare in the US anyway. But clothes that aren't blatantly American and not quite European can have a negative effect, too. Here's what happened:

We're sitting in the train station in Fussen (Neuschwanstein) waiting to go back to Munich and these 2 "street-toughs" dressed in drabby denim, unshaven, devil-make hair, etc. walk up to us. They pull out these faded, worn, crummy looking badges that say "Polizei" and ask in German to see our passports. (I'm thinking, what the fcuk is going on here?) I tell him in German that my German's not so good and does he speak English. He does and makes the demand again. So, not wanting to give up my passport, I stall him and ask to see their badges again. Then they got pissed, so I figured we had photocopies of our passports and could go to a consulate and get new ones if we had to, so we give them up. Mine was American and my wife has two, one British and one American, so she gave the British one. They had a good laugh about our surname (Mensch), handed them back, and left us in peace. My synopsys of the situation was that there was an influx of illegal immigrants coming from Eastern Europe at the time into Germany and they thought we were some of them. So, I guess if we were wearing ball-caps and sneakers, they probably would have left us alone, but I would still do it the same way next time.

In any case, make a photocopy of your passport and bring it along. Have a great trip!

Sorry I'm piping in a little late. I lived in the UK for a while and traveled through the Continent as well (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France). If you want to not stand out as American, clothes are key as others have mentioned. "Sneakers" are generally not worn. Otherwise, non-labeled generic-type clothes should do fine. There is a difference in European cuts on clothes, however. Pants are a little straighter, jackets are a little tighter and end not much below the waist, etc. (All generalities, of course.) The other important thing is to look like you know what you're doing and where you're going. Even if you're walking into a corner, act like you meant to go to that corner!:cross:

When my wife and I were traveling through the Continent, we subconsciously tried to not stand out as American. But we generally wore clothes with a European flare in the US anyway. But clothes that aren't blatantly American and not quite European can have a negative effect, too. Here's what happened:

We're sitting in the train station in Fussen (Neuschwanstein) waiting to go back to Munich and these 2 "street-toughs" dressed in drabby denim, unshaven, devil-make hair, etc. walk up to us. They pull out these faded, worn, crummy looking badges that say "Polizei" and ask in German to see our passports. (I'm thinking, what the fcuk is going on here?) I tell him in German that my German's not so good and does he speak English. He does and makes the demand again. So, not wanting to give up my passport, I stall him and ask to see their badges again. Then they got pissed, so I figured we had photocopies of our passports and could go to a consulate and get new ones if we had to, so we give them up. Mine was American and my wife has two, one British and one American, so she gave the British one. They had a good laugh about our surname (Mensch), handed them back, and left us in peace. My synopsys of the situation was that there was an influx of illegal immigrants coming from Eastern Europe at the time into Germany and they thought we were some of them. So, I guess if we were wearing ball-caps and sneakers, they probably would have left us alone, but I would still do it the same way next time.

In any case, make a photocopy of your passport and bring it along. Have a great trip!

Thanks man, I actually made color and B&W copies of our passports last night. That's an interesting story though...

Wow, I really don't get all you "blend in" folks. You ARE a tourist. Why on earth would you want to hide it? Being polite and knowing basic greetings in the local tongue are far more important than what you wear. Besides, you're a lot more likely to get help with directions wearing a Yankees cap than a black trench coat.

I do wish more Americans would travel. Our isolationistic tendencies breed stereotypes and ignorance. Go to Europe once and you're ruined. You'll go back again and again.

I haven't been to Europe, but when we honeymooned in Montreal, it was a definate source of pride when the *tourists* would come up to us as if we were locals, asking us if we spoke English and how to get wherever they needed to get.

I suspect you're going to find that it's attitude more than anything. If you're relaxed (AS YOU SHOULD BE, DAMMIT! ENJOY THIS TRIP!), you're going to seem like just a normal couple out and about.

Because you ideally want to tour as a local. People are honored that you would want to literally stand in their shoes and live life as they do.

Ah, so in Paris you skipped the Eiffel Tower, you vehemently avoided the Pantheon in Rome, gave Plaza Mayor a wide berth in Madrid, and never exited Centraal Station in Amsterdam. :(

I guess that's one way to "tour" Europe...

Wow, I really don't get all you "blend in" folks. You ARE a tourist. Why on earth would you want to hide it? Being polite and knowing basic greetings in the local tongue are far more important than what you wear. Besides, you're a lot more likely to get help with directions wearing a Yankees cap than a black trench coat.

I do wish more Americans would travel. Our isolationistic tendencies breed stereotypes and ignorance. Go to Europe once and you're ruined. You'll go back again and again.

Because it is a universal law that tourists get treated like crap because they habitually treat the places they visit like crap. Don't kid yourself, if you have traveled as much as you insinuate, you HAVE seen the American tourist types moving around or talking ridiculously loud to local people because they think it makes them easier to understand. Tourist has a negative connotation everywhere it isn't just Europe.

I think the main gist of everyone's point is just don't be a dick and everyone will be super nice. I have found the same a Bird, if you are relaxed and having a good time, people think you are local right until you tell them you are not. Just have fun and treat people as you would have them treat you.

Ah, so in Paris you skipped the Eiffel Tower, you vehemently avoided the Pantheon in Rome, gave Plaza Mayor a wide berth in Madrid, and never exited Centraal Station in Amsterdam. :(

So missing the point.

I can't tell you the places I've seen or gotten access to because of it.
Yes.
You can see all of those places, but if you tour as a local, you might get someone to give you a personal tour and not point you to the ticket office so that you can follow around someone with a bullhorn.

And how many Hard Rock Cafe T-shirts from around the world do you own?

One of the best things you can do is learn how to say "Do you speak English" in the local language. Just asking is polite and makes a huge difference instead of simply speaking in English and expecting a reply that you can understand.

Here's a site that can help.

"I don't understand" in many languages

And how many Hard Rock Cafe T-shirts from around the world do you own?

I don't want this thread to be a pissing match, but that is awesome.

I think we have concluded that many people travel in many different ways. My inlaws are in the follow the herd group and just listen and shake there heads when my wife and I tell them how we travel, they could never and would never do it. It doesn't make either of us right or wrong, just different. It all boils down to personal preference.

I really think the experiences are much more genuine if you can avoid standing out as a tourist and like Jeep said, you will gain access to many interesting places, make friends, and see places any other tourist could never have experienced. Others, travel differently and have a different experience. The choice is up to you, yo ho!

Chill, relax.

Learn Thank you, please, hello in the local language.
Try to speak to people who are not involved in tourism and be friendly.
Don't expect special treatment. Smile at people.

Walk into local markets rather than tourist markets.

You'll enjoy it.

The other thing I learned, if you make an attempt to speak their language, it goes a long way to show you're trying and people will make a better effort to help you.

Even just a little bit will help. Hello, please, thank you, goodbye. Be patient if they are struggling to help you in English but it's hard to understand.

Even just a little bit will help. Hello, please, thank you, goodbye. Be patient if they are struggling to help you in English but it's hard to understand.

Spot on. I've never particularly enjoyed Paris, but outside of Paris the locals love it if you try a bit of french. In germany they will love it too, then switch to english!

I used to be a full-on blend with the locals kind of guy but now I'll get the open top bus tour once in a while. Guess I'm losing my edge. I deffo like to do a bit of research before I got somewhere to make sure I don't miss things out. Did that far too often back in the blending days.

Soulive - if you need any tips for munich, PM me, I lived there for years.

OK lemme try this; ORFY I CAN'T UNDERSTAND YOU WITH THAT UROPEAN TALK OF YOURS!!

:D

As someone who grew up in a tourist town, I wholeheartedly agree to dress the part of the locals, and go where they do. I could always pick out the blatant ignoranuses by the way they dress and seem oblivious of their surroundings.

A few of the reasons to dress the part of someone local is to avoid pickpockets (for some reason many tourists dress like they're flush with cash) possibly being ripped off, getting more respect from people they ask for help/favors, and generally being accepted. People instinctively fear different people, and so different people tend to get noticed more.

Soulive - if you need any tips for munich, PM me, I lived there for years.

One of my favorite places to drink beer and talk with the locals is Gaststätte Jodlerwort on Altenhof Straße near Marienplatz.

They serve one of my favorite Hefe's.

AyingerHefe.jpg

Have you been there?

Mmmmm, I'll be checking that out...:mug:

Here you go. It's very close to Augustiner and The Hofbrauhaus.

[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=jodlerwirt+-+munich,+germany&ie=UTF8&cd=1&z=16&iwloc=A"]jodlerwirt - munich, germany - Google Maps[/ame]

Just printed it, thanks Ed. We're going to Augustiner too, but the not HB haus...

HB is right across the street. You still have to go and look inside. It's a massive beerhall. Hit the mens room and you'll find the Spewage sink with built in disposers where you can make more room for more Bier. I think they are called Spuckbecher. :D

yes try and learn a few simple phrases...I have been to Germany and France. If you try to make an effort the natives will try to be accomadating.. that was my experience.

friar John

Just printed it, thanks Ed. We're going to Augustiner too, but the not HB haus...

do the HB haus. it's great fun. sure there are a lot of tourists, but go earlier in the day there are plenty of locals too.

augustiner helles or edelstoff was my prefered beverage over there, you want to check out the brewery pub on landsberger str (tram 19/17 from hauptbahnhof). great atmos and you can see the brewery horses in the stable area. through the windows in the pub.

if you're up for andechs beer, there's a place behind the dom (cathedral) that sells it, can't recall the name but it's near augustiner am dom and the nuernburger bratwurst am dom places.saves you the trip out out to andechs, decent local crowd and good food.

My wife is Norwegian, so we travel often to Europe.

Don't wear shorts
Don't wear a t-shirt
Wear nice shoes...no sneakers.
No money belt, just keep your wallet with a rubber band around it in your front pocket.
You'll see plenty of yankees caps there, but be mindful of where you wear it. You may want to take it off in a restaurant.
Don't overtip! 10% is more than generous.

Learn: Please, Thank you and I'm sorry in German and Greek
Smile often
Make eye contact when speaking

Many Europeans will try to engage you in a political conversation. I'm as liberal as it gets so I'm typically agreeing with them and enjoying the talk. If you're uncomfortable, however, a nice out will be "I came here to get away from all of that for a while."

Have fun...

Funny, I was thinking that wasn't the name for some reason. It's also right next to Killian's Irish Pub and Ned Kelly's Australian Pub - if you need a pint of guinness and a fix of speaking english. Not essential, but there if you want it.

Edit: another thing on that Andechs place, I like the high tables along the alleyway outside. They have heaters if it's a bit cooler and it is covered in case of rain. Almost has a ski-hut kind of vibe.

Back