I think I'm in trouble - (oily beer?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoss75

Reaction score
Just brewed up a flavored beer (stout) I boiled the heck out of the to try to break down the oils as much as possible. Still as I pitched the yeast it looked a little greasy.
I lov experimenting but hate drinking 5 gallons of lousy beer.

I brewed a partial mash irish stout. After removing the grains I threw in baker's chocolate and my extracts. Boiled it for about an hour adding some irish moss before the end of the boil.
I've brewed chocolate beer before, but don't remember it looking greasy.
It'll probably ferment, but I think I need to give up the idea of a head.

Yes, I'm sure that's what it was. I think most people use cocoa powder (so there isn't any oil), not baking chocolate, for brewing.

+1 there's still oil even in cocoa powder, but not enough to make much of a difference.

I doubt it'll make a huge difference. Maybe a bit of one in the mouthfeel.

On the up shot, the oil might help ensure that nasties don't get into your beer and infect it. I know they used to use clarified butter as a sealant/preservative up until they invented refrigeration.

Just rack the beer to secondary after it is done fermenting and leave about 1/2 an inch behind so you don't suck up any of the oil, as the oil floats on the top.

Thanks for all the imput. I will definitely be careful when racking it to the secondary.
I was 99% certain it was caused by the chocolate bar. I guess my confusion is in the fact I was led to believe that boiling the chocolate for 45-50 minutes aw supposed to break it all down.

Thanks for all the imput. I will definitely be careful when racking it to the secondary.
I was 99% certain it was caused by the chocolate bar. I guess my confusion is in the fact I was led to believe that boiling the chocolate for 45-50 minutes aw supposed to break it all down.

Actually, boiling the chocolate would release all the oils and fats I would believe.

Back