fermented root beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Movinfr8

Reaction score
just made up a f gallon keg of extract root beer, and wondered if anyone has let it ferment , and how it would taste? I may do a gallon or so just to see...

Why do you want to let it ferment if you have it in a keg? I thought the only reason to ferment root beer was to get it to carb up...So if you have it in a keg you can carb it with co2, thats what I do.

I think he was looking to get a little alcohol in the RB.

My kid and I mixed a half-batch of Birch Root Beer a couple of weeks ago. She didn't end up liking it as much as I did, but the darn things nearly explode when opened!

I've been trying to work this out for months now. Nobody seems to think its a good idea. I wanted to make a no hop Extra light malt beer and add Rootbeer extract to it. Problem is that Root Beer doesn't have a grain flavor, and it needs to be sweet. I wanted to do a sugar wash and add flavor...problem is that (I bottle) I don't want a 14 % Root Beer, and I don't want Bottle bombs.
This sucks. Nobody seems to be able to help us...I don't want to resort to adding MD and Vodka at bottling.

Lactose leaves quite a bit of sweetness, you could add to taste, and bottle like normal when it's sweet enough, because the other sugars won't ferment out. Similar to the splenda idea i guess, but without using splenda (I hate the way that stuff tastes, "tastes like sugar, because it's from sugar" my ass).

Back