Yeast Nutrients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Ale

Reaction score
I have always added my yeast nutrient to the bottom of my primary pour my brew on top and then pitch the yeast. I was reading a book and it stated, "When the boil commences, add your first set of hops and any necessary yeast nutrients or water salts"........ If you boil the yeast nutrient, dont you kill certain enzymes that the yeast might need? Is this a misprint or have I been doing it wrong???

I use yeast nutrients in my starters and thats how you use it. I add my DME, yeast nutrient, and water, and boil it for 20 minutes.

Yeast nutrients are mainly minerals. I think boiling them just makes certain they are fully dissolved.

There are no enzymes or anything that needs to "survive" in yeast nutrients.

They also really aren't necessary except in meads. Beer wort has all the nutrients it needs.

Cheers :D

Thanks for all the info. Since I have it I am going to use it but this time I will put it in and boil it. I have not had much success with my last few batches so this time I am trying to be really careful. I believe it was lack of temp control during Texas summer months that crashed my last few batches. Now its cooler so here goes...
8 pounds LME
2 pounds Old Barvarian Munich
1 pound domestic two row malt grain
2 lbs. Cara-vienne light crystal grain
Safale Yeast
2oz Chinook
2oz Northern Brewer

Back