Oxygen Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dscott60

Reaction score
I bought a small red oxygen tank from Lowes. It's made by a company called Worthington. I plan on using it with an oxygenation system. Does anyone know if it's pure oxygen in these tanks?

Also, the oxygenation system I got from morebeer didn't have a filter. Is the filter necessary?

Thanks

The O2 in the tank is pure. If it weren't, the O2 wouldn't be safe to use for anything because it could contribute to an explosion. It's the same reason I pay through the ass to have my SCUBA regs oxygen cleaned.

Thanks. It just seemed weird to be using an oxygen tank from lowes that's supposed to be for welding. I thought I would have to go to a medical supply place or something like that to get one.

dscott60, where did you get your regulator from..?? I've been looking to get mine from williamsbrewing, but jsut wondering if you found a better deal somewhere...

dscott60 said:
Thanks. It just seemed weird to be using an oxygen tank from lowes that's supposed to be for welding. I thought I would have to go to a medical supply place or something like that to get one.

Oddly enough, the medical supply places won't sell medical grade oxygen without a prescription. Go figure! You need a prescription for oxygen.

So, unless you're like me and have friends with 5 light fingers, you buy welding oxygen.

Believe it or not, pure oxygen is highly toxic. It will kill you in large doses as we've only adapted to 21% over the long term. Not only is it toxic, it's an oxydizer (duh) that can turn mildly flamable materials into bombs.

Jester said:
dscott60, where did you get your regulator from..?? I've been looking to get mine from williamsbrewing, but jsut wondering if you found a better deal somewhere...

Most LHBS sell the combo pack with the stone. I've seen from $ 45.00 - 55.00

Williams regulator alone is $ 19.90 and $ 6.00 shipping.

Bobby_M said:
Not only is it toxic, it's an oxydizer (duh) that can turn mildly flamable materials into bombs.
Yep, oxygen is nasty, dangerous stuff.

Don't believe me? Just ask Gus Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee. :(

I got this one from morebeer.com. It was $30 for regulator and stone. The shipping was free because I spent over $59.

Oh, what do you guys think of using the filter? I didn't get one. Is it necessary?

I have always used a filter with my aquarium pump and air stone, so I would probably still use one with an oxygen tank too... If you crunched for time and dont have one handy, I wouldnt let that keep you from brewing, but I would probably get one over time jsut to be safe... one less possibility for infection...

No need to filter it - nothing's going to live inside your tank. Buy an aquarium aeration stone to push the O2 through - it will go into solution more efficiently that way. You only need a minute or two (some say even less) of pure oxygen aeration through a stone.

I use an aquarium pump and always use a filter (.50 micron S/S stone I think).
Just bought a O2 regulator, and will still always use a filter.

From what I've read, there is not a huge difference in medical and industrial O2, but, if you have a filter, use it.

Remember, once you shut down the boil, any goof can affect your beer.

Brewing tomorrow !!! Finally.

2 jobs sucks a big, greasy, dog biscuit, but it pays the bills.

Back