Hops varieties and recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
I have a Centenial and a Mt Hood (and Teamaker) hops plants. When I look at recipes, I rarely see on of my varieties. Can I substitue my hops for what the recipe calls for? What kind of beer is best for those varieties?
A little background. I have only brewed cider and wine. I want to start brewing beer eventually but would really love to use my own hops.
Thanks,
Scott

The Centennial is a great hop for hoppy American ale styles, like American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, and American IPA. It gives good bittering and if used late in the boil and dry hopping will give strong citrus and grapefruit flavor and aroma.

Mount Hood is a lower alpha acid (less bittering) hop whose heritage comes from the noble, European hops, if I'm remembering right. It is a 'clean' hop, good for lagers or less bitter beers like cream ales or blond ales.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer:
Both home and commercial brewers substitute hops all the time. However, there is a lot to consider.

a) Substituting bittering hops - early in the boil - you need to calculate the amounts based on difference in AA%

b) Substituting dry hops - in the carboy - you need to pick hops that have similar flavors.

c) Substituting aroma hops - late in the boil - you need to factor in both a and b.

There are lots of charts available concerning substitutions: http://www.rooftopbrew.net/?page_id=239

For instance, Centennial is sometimes described as "super cascade". Adjusted properly, you can use it in recipes that call for Cascade.

Like pappers said, Mt Hoods are more often used for lagers and ales with mild hop character, but I like Mt Hoods in combination with other hops in American pales and IPAs as well. I bet combining the centennial and mt hood would make for a tasty brew in those styles.

You can get pretty versatile with what you've got so far, and you'll be in good shape once you figure out what styles you want to make.

Back