Im a house husband, anyone else lucky enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ostomo517

Reaction score
House husband.....not dad. No kids, my fiancee makes quite enough money and refuses to let me work. I do housework daily and have dinner waiting on the table when she gets home. Outside of that I have a healthy allowance to brew as especially in Michigan winter, its the only hobby I have.

Full time single father of two, full time student. Took three years off to complete my degree and raise my daughters. Might have to go back to work in a year or so, but it has been nice to have time with the girls.

Full time single father of two, full time student. Took three years off to complete my degree and raise my daughters. Might have to go back to work in a year or so, but it has been nice to have time with the girls.

I give ya big credit for that Gear. We just dont ever plan on having kids.

Oh goddamn you. That is my goal. And my wife said as soon as she makes
$XXXXX a year, I'm in. THis could be my reality within the next 4 years or so!:ban:

Ostomo517 said:
House husband.....not dad. No kids, my fiancee makes quite enough money and refuses to let me work. I do housework daily and have dinner waiting on the table when she gets home. Outside of that I have a healthy allowance to brew as especially in Michigan winter, its the only hobby I have.

Funny you mention that...I am too. I was the breadwinner for years, but job went sideways. Now I keep up the house and spend a ton of time getting my homebrew area set up. Until I found this hobby, I hated that. Now I am thrilled and not sure I want to go back to work.

Funny you mention that...I am too. I was the breadwinner for years, but job went sideways. Now I keep up the house and spend a ton of time getting my homebrew area set up. Until I found this hobby, I hated that. Now I am thrilled and not sure I want to go back to work.

Pretty much same here

That's great if you're happy.

I'd be insane with only one hobby, and not being "allowed" to work by someone "refusing to let me work". but if you find fullfillment and happiness, then that's the important thing.

Damn! You should open a brewery!

Ostomo, yea, I wouldn't be able to just 'not work' maybe it's a protestant work ethic thing from my parents, or just the need to be a part of something larger than myself. Even if I was a lottery billionaire I would just get bored with no job to do.

then again, I would probably just be busy running a brewery

I'd be insane with only one hobby, and not being "allowed" to work by someone "refusing to let me work". but if you find fullfillment and happiness, then that's the important thing.

Well its not like she says "work and we are done" I may do a part time gig for vacay money (we are going to the UK this year and thats spending cash) or when I convert to kegs. But yeah very happy, when she says dont work its cause she knows I busted my ass when she was in school and cause she wants me to enjoy some time and shes a pretty big beer nerd herself so she loves coming home hearing about what I learned about beer today.

I could deal with it I think. But, I would not want to be called a "House Husband" ever. I would have to come up with a new term to describe this new found freedom.

Well its not like she says "work and we are done" I may do a part time gig for vacay money (we are going to the UK this year and thats spending cash) or when I convert to kegs. But yeah very happy, when she says dont work its cause she knows I busted my ass when she was in school and cause she wants me to enjoy some time and shes a pretty big beer nerd herself so she loves coming home hearing about what I learned about beer today.

Like I said, if you find personal fullfillment and happiness, I think it's great.

Damn! You should open a brewery!

Ostomo, yea, I wouldn't be able to just 'not work' maybe it's a protestant work ethic thing from my parents, or just the need to be a part of something larger than myself. Even if I was a lottery billionaire I would just get bored with no job to do.

then again, I would probably just be busy running a brewery

I hear ya, Im of Mexican decent and sterotypical as it may be, yeah I always wanna work. But yeah brewing is where its at for me. Its always been food and drink. Im a self taught chef, been doin it 18 yrs. under some damn big chefs. Having the chef skills I have coupled with brewing skills when I get where I wanna be... Maybe take that leap to a brewery/restaurant.

Yooper said:

Yes, that's me. If I was ever fully retired of in this fellas situation I would need to have a wood shop or a machine shop or some way of keeping busy. You can only drink so much beer. Even when I am working and we get a little slow my skin starts crawling. I think I'd be a fat alcoholic.

No offense, but c'mon really??? I can see if you had kids and she makes more money, but no kids? What do you do all day, watch the view? I don't get this at all. How as a man, do you get fullfillment sitting around the house? I don't mean to be an insensitive dick, but lol...You did say in your OP that she refused that you to work. Maybe I'm from a different generation, but if you can work you work. Maybe I'm weird, but I like making money. My wife also makes a really nice salary.

I hear ya, Im of Mexican decent and sterotypical as it may be, yeah I always wanna work. But yeah brewing is where its at for me. Its always been food and drink. Im a self taught chef, been doin it 18 yrs. under some damn big chefs. Having the chef skills I have coupled with brewing skills when I get where I wanna be... Maybe take that leap to a brewery/restaurant.

I hear that, I'm a coffee roaster by trade and before that I was a cook (I couldn't call myself a chef, that would be an insult to guys like you) I think brewing just comes naturally for F&D professionals like us.

No offense, but c'mon really??? I can see if you had kids and she makes more money, but no kids? What do you do all day, watch the view? I don't get this at all. How as a man, do you get fullfillment sitting around the house? I don't mean to be an insensitive dick, but lol...You did say in your OP that she refused that you to work. Maybe I'm from a different generation, but if you can work you work. Maybe I'm weird, but I like making money. My wife also makes a really nice salary.

I work when we are taking a trip outta the country or long vacay. And we are never having kids. And I dont "sit around the house" and sorry for you that its what it takes for you to feel like a "man".

I hear that, I'm a coffee roaster by trade and before that I was a cook (I couldn't call myself a chef, that would be an insult to guys like you) I think brewing just comes naturally for F&D professionals like us.

I think it is a natural transition like you said.

That's pretty much been my gig for the last few years. While recuperating from lung cancer surgery back in '09 the company I was working for went under.(construction) Since I can't really do that anymore, and my wife has a good job, I take care of the house, shopping, cooking etc. Then on Fridays I run my hobby business at a local farmers market. Of course there's quite a bit of work prepping for just one day of operation.

oven 577.jpg

pizza 190.jpg

pizza 288.jpg

Too bad you can't get a temporary tavern license in PA. Wood Fired Pizza and Home Brew would be one heck of a combination!!!

I really dig your rig!!

Seems to be the same story all over Michigan--I'm 57 & framed house's for 30+ yrs. and am glad not to have to put them nail bags on anymore--got a bagger in the garage and do what ever when ever I want and my wife is totally good with it---I do get bored once in awhile that's when I just head north--Where you at? Got me a hideout in Iosco Co.

Seems to be the same story all over Michigan--I'm 57 & framed house's for 30+ yrs. and am glad not to have to put them nail bags on anymore--got a bagger in the garage and do what ever when ever I want and my wife is totally good with it---I do get bored once in awhile that's when I just head north--Where you at? Got me a hideout in Iosco Co.

Im in Norton Shores, just south of Muskegon. Right by PJ Hoffmaster state park. Havent had to many chances to head north (been in MI only 3 yrs) But plan on it this summer.

Im in Norton Shores, just south of Muskegon. Right by PJ Hoffmaster state park. Havent had to many chances to head north (been in MI only 3 yrs) But plan on it this summer.

Well, "north" is relative I guess. Anything below the bridge is "down south" to me! :D

I have a brewbuddy in Norton Shores, and another brewing friend in Muskegon. We stayed with him to go to Irish Fest.

Yeah, tons of pics. I don't want to hijack the thread, but here are a few.

Oh, if you weren't already married I'd be propositioning you for sure! Wow. Great photos.

Oh, wait. I'm married myself. I forget there for a minute. :drunk:

Well, "north" is relative I guess. Anything below the bridge is "down south" to me! :D

I have a brewbuddy in Norton Shores, and another brewing friend in Muskegon. We stayed with him to go to Irish Fest.
I know were are just trolls to you lol. I heard about Irish Fest cant wait for it to roll around this year ( we moved here from Lansing) But lemmie know if your ever in town with your brewbuddies or somethin, you seem to be one of the super knowledgable ones here and would love to maybe brew together.

Evets said:

Pizza pics are at home in any thread :mug: only problem is that I'm hungry for pizza now.

Evets said:

That's impressive! I never managed to make a good crust, and now that my wife is gluten intolerant I have stopped trying.

I will bet the word is spreading on your pizza around there.

Back