Disaster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper1917

Reaction score
I am brewing some pale ale with coopers yeast and we are having a warm spekll here in Nobva Scotia. I do have the beer in the basement but it is still fermenting at about 75f. Am I heading for disaster here - or is there still hope I may produce a decent beer?

I think it'll be fine for now, but you should find a tub/plastic bin to put it in and surround it with cold water to lower the temps.

I add frozen water bottles to my water. Depending on the size of the tub and amount of water I can place about 8 bottles in and the temp drops into the 60s and doesn't get above 70 for a couple of days. :D

Hey hopper:

Wet a towel and wrap your fermenter during the warm hours of the day, that will help keep your treasure cool as well. I also left a fan blowing on low during the day. The temp here in MI was about 30 degrees C and living without air, I was worried too, the beer was always in the 70 F range.

Cheers!!!!

John

Primary: empty
Sencondary: empty
Bottled: Autumn Amber Ale
On deck: IPA

Update - I road it oot and the temp in the room was about 72 overnight but the fermenter was 77 and fermenting like crazy. Does fermenting cause that much heat???? Secondly it is smelling toootie fruity - kinda like apples - the smell was really heavy while it was fermenting vigerously - but i think the fermenting is about over - still it smells like apples. Is there anychance if i leave it age in secondary or bottles long enough some of the tootie fruity apple smell will mellow out? Has anyone ever made an apply flavored beer here?

yes, fermentation causes alot heat. those little yeasteroonies are really going to town in there! at higher termperatures you will get those fruity smells and tastes...apple included. it will be a fruitier beer than you intended but you might be pleasantly surprised. just watch out for that hangover!

i would look into getting a fermentation chiller ;)

FWIW-It's been really hot in Cincy as well and ~75 F was as cold as I was able to get a recent batch for fermentation. During the intial stages, the entire basement reeked of bananas. Last night (2 weeks after brewing including 4 days in secondary) I tasted it for the first time and there was no fruitiness at all. The yeast does a good job of cleaning up after itself.

Yup you may find higher esters and fusels from fermenting warmer...if so, letting it age out a bit longer than usual can reduce some of the harsh/fruity influences.

Latest posts

Back