Grains/Hops/DME shelf life?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grez

Reaction score
I do all my brewing in small (1 gallon) batches due to severe space limitations in my apartment. All brew are (dry) extract based with some steeping grains (crystal/chocolate malt etc.) as required.

A typical recipe uses 1lb or so of DME and up to 1lb of (sometimes mixed) grains. I've just ordered several 1kg (2.2lb) bags of DME along with several 1lb bags of various grains.

My question is: will opened bags of DME/crushed grain keep for the 2,3 or 4 weeks that generally elapse between brewing sessions? Airtight containers? The same for leftover hops?

Thanks.

P.S. Current brew is a big (6.6%) ESB just ageing gently in bottles.... Mmmmh :cross:

grez said:
My question is: will opened bags of DME/crushed grain keep for the 2,3 or 4 weeks that generally elapse between brewing sessions? Airtight containers? The same for leftover hops?

Yes, yes & yes. :) I store my leftovers in a cool dry place, not exposed to light/stored in containers and its all good.

Thanks for the info guys!

I'll double bag everything AND put it in plastic containers.

Quick question regarding freezing hops, if they are frozen do the need to be defrosted/thawed out before adding to the boil, or can they just be thrown straight in there?

Cheers :mug:

Back