Grain Mill Cleaning? I gummed up my rollers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhem

Reaction score
So I tried my first attempt at conditioning the grain by lightly spraying a small amount of water on the grain and mixing well, letting set for 20 minutes until it just felt leathery, not moist and then milled.

Well maybe I still overdid the water because after crushing 11 lbs of grain my Barley Crusher rollers are gummed up with grain residue. I tried brushing it off with a stiff bristled plastic brush and it's not working. Seems soaking would be the only way to remove the caked on residue.

What should I do? If the rollers cake with residue the next crush will be too fine.

Let it dry completely for a few days, then try to run a pound or so of grain through... It will probably come off on its own.

Let it dry completely for a few days, then try to run a pound or so of grain through... It will probably come off on its own.

have you tried this? My rollers are caked as if in dried concrete! :(

have you tried this? My rollers are caked as if in dried concrete! :(

I have never "wetted" my grain. But I have crushed roasted hemp seeds. They are pretty oily and jammed up my rollers pretty good. I ran what grain I could get through the mill and let it sit for day. The next day I came back and ran some more grain through and it all came out.

I have never "wetted" my grain. But I have crushed roasted hemp seeds. They are pretty oily and jammed up my rollers pretty good. I ran what grain I could get through the mill and let it sit for day. The next day I came back and ran some more grain through and it all came out.

Well then next time I mill it just might self clean! I'm going to see what a wire brush does in the mean time. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back