Lagering a Munich Dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I specialize in Munich styles and have found this: 2 weeks in absolutely insufficient. 4 weeks is ok, but the truly sweet spot is 8 to 10 weeks. I lager around 38F.

Mine are usually amber, but I don't think a dunkel would be very different.

I specialize in Munich styles and have found this: 2 weeks in absolutely insufficient. 4 weeks is ok, but the truly sweet spot is 8 to 10 weeks. I lager around 38F.

Mine are usually amber, but I don't think a dunkel would be very different.

I agree, 8-10 weeks and mine was awesome.

My last dunkel was 11weeks and it just felt like it was too much. It was my first dark lager so not a expert but I would recommend 8-10 as well

1 day for each 1/100th of OG, so 1.060 is 2 months in the lager, 1.067 is 7 weeks etc.

Yeah, a lot of folks say one week per 8 gravity points so that's close to what you are saying...

...not sure I follow your math of 1.067 being 7 weeks and 1.060 being 8 weeks though... ;)

Yeah, a lot of folks say one week per 8 gravity points so that's close to what you are saying...

...not sure I follow your math of 1.067 being 7 weeks and 1.060 being 8 weeks though... ;)

So I also answered the question about your profession that floats around here once in a while as....non-engineer....9 weeks is also one week different than 8 weeks:drunk:

At about week 2 of lagering at 40F, I noticed some bubbles coming out of the airlock. One every minute or two. This lasted about 1 day. The beer is crystal clear, all of the yeast is at the bottom and there's absolutely zero signs of any infection. Is CO2 coming out of solution - after 14 days in the cold? Is it actual yeast activity? I can't imagine it is activity since my FG was right where it should have been when I racked it to 2ndry. Anyone ever see this before?

Isn't beer supposed to hold more CO2 per volume naturally at lower temperatures, and lose CO2 concentrations at higher temps.

I Think about opening a new soda or beer bottle cold vs. warm and the louder "psssh" at warm temperatures.

Can you post your dunkle recipe? Would like to brew a dark lager. aslo update how your dunkle came out after lagering.

11 lbs 5.4 oz Munich
5.8 oz Carafa
1 hr Mash at 154F
1.4 oz Hallertauer (3.9%) @ 60'
0.6 oz Hallertauer (3.9%) @ 20'
Total IBUs = 21.8
WLP833 @ 50F (make an appropriate starter)
OG 1.055
FG 1.015
SRM = 20

I brewed 10 gal of that recipe back in october. I split it on two different yeasts, WY2206 and WLP833. Both turned out very good - 833 is a touch more malty, and has a slightly cleaner finish. 2206 lingers a bit in the mouth, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I got away with 6 weeks, but I was in a rush. It seemed to smooth out after a few more weeks. If time is not an issue 8-10 weeks is the sweet spot.

Back