Extract brewing with rye specialty grain/malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timwel

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me understand if steeping rye malt is OK for a specialty grain/extract brew. I'm thinking of doing a rye stout, but I'm not ready to take the all grain plunge this week.
I've done plenty of steeping recipes but never with rye. I haven't seen any info with rye used in this manner.
Does anyone out there have some nuggets of knowledge to share?

northernbrewer.com has rye malt extract.

i dont believe you can simply steep rye malt, so id recommend the extract.

Or, do a partial mash with the rye and other grains. It's easy, especially if you're using other grains anyway, and we can help you with the steps and amounts of water.

Thanks. I was planning on using the following grains/fermentables for a 5 gallon batch:
5.5# DME
2# Rye Malt (not sure if this is too much)
.5# Chocolate
.5# Black Patent
.5# Crystal 60L

Any guidance on the partial mash steps would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to get this in during my week off and while the kids are off at their grandparents' house.

rye can convert itself so just 'steep' all those grains in 1.5 gals @150-154F for 60mins and you have a partial mash.

Thanks for the help dcp. I'll try and post back with results. I'm looking forward to this as it's not really a beer you can grab off the shelf.

Can I assume that you are going to steep those grains in a grain bag? If so you are this || close to being all grain "brew in a bag" or as it is sometimes known as BIAB. If you search this forum with either of those terms you will learn a ton. It really is almost as easy as steeping grains for an extract batch with more choices of grains.

Back