Beetroot juice to top up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
My dad's a strange bloke. Our crop of Beetroot is ready and as the process goes, he's soaked them in water - or possibly boiled, i'm not sure - and kept the leftover water in a bottle. It's very dark purple in colour, a lot like Vimto/Ribena, and there will be some beetroot taste in there - although how much, I'm not sure.

Anyway, he's talking about making a red wine and topping up the wine with this juice for colour and a unique flavour. Anyone done anything similar to this? I suppose it beats water...hahah.

No idea! It's not like your sugar beets I think, here's google images to give you an idea - to cut a long story short, if it stains your hands and clothes purple, then yup, it's the same thing!

Thinking about it, would you recommend this pre or post fermentation?

No idea! It's not like your sugar beets I think, here's google images to give you an idea - to cut a long story short, if it stains your hands and clothes purple, then yup, it's the same thing!

Thinking about it, would you recommend this pre or post fermentation?

I've never used beet juice in wine. Use the beets themselves!

Like this:

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques29.asp

I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the tips. He's talking about using a little of the juice to bring a dark purple colour through a blackberry wine! It really is dark, the bubbles when you shake it up are purple themselves...we could give that a go though! I'll pitch it to him :)

Back