Yeast Layer at the bottom of the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbrain

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I cracked open the first bottle from my first batch today, and it came out pretty good. It was made from a Brewer's Best IPA kit with the dry yeast, which I rehydrated for a while before I pitched it.

At the bottom of the bottle after I pour, there is a yeast layer which is undisturbed by the pouring. I was expecting to have to pour it gently to avoid disturbing the yeast, but the stuff just says put until I rinse the bottle.

I was wondering if this yeast condition was normal, or if it tells you experts anything about the beer that I'd be interested to know (like was the yeast super effective, or very ineffective, or...?)

Thanks!
Keith

You have to pour gently to not disturb any yeast. It takes some vigorous pouring or swirling to shake it loose.

Yeah, I thought it was going to be a lot harder when I read about it too. People just being dramatic.

Depends on the yeast strain, too. My guess is your kit had Nottingham in it, which is a very flocculent strain. Makes a rock at the bottom of the fermenter and your bottles. Great stuff, that Nottingham

A good yeast bed in my bottles is how I eye-ball whether or not my bottles are close to carb'd.

Perfectly normal. The compacting nature occurs when the bottles are chilled and the yeast sort of "stiffens".

Almost every batch that I have bottled has had a little bit on the bottom... It's the yeast that remains in suspension that carbonates it. When it settles out, it means the sugars are gone and carbonation is complete... Or close anyway...

Latest posts

Back