Sigh...becoming a beer snob . Good or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppymonkey

Reaction score
So on the one hand I think enjoy the complexity of beer more these days. (pro) but on the other hand I am just disapointed when I see that all I have to choose from is my old favorites like Newcastle, Boston lager,etc. (con) I mean if I just want pick up a sixer on the way to a buddys to enjoy I gotta shell out at least 10 bucks for anything I consider decent. (con) luckily I brew frequently, I just don't bottle enough( prefer to keg) so guys what are some more pros and cons on this odd transformation.

(con) luckily I brew frequently, I just don't bottle enough( prefer to keg)

If it is just for going to a friend's house to hang out grab a couple growlers. It is dead easy to fill and cap them with a piece of hose.

As for the beer snob thing I preferred the better stuff long before I started brewing so that didn't hit me that hard. I'll still drink whatever is available and be happy though so I guess I'm not all that snobby.

A beer snob puts other people's choice in beverage down... don't be that guy. A beer aficionado prefers and understands higher quality beer. Personally, I'm not above most malt beverages if it is the right place/time. I'll gladly drink a BMC at a party, on the lake or on the golf course and thoroughly enjoy it. At home my taste is more refined and I won't purchase anything but craft brew if I have to, but mostly drink my homebrew now.

Yeah...it's good to know that there are better beers out there. It's good to appreciate the real quality brews, and the work that goes into them!

That said, I still buy cheap beer on occasion. Sometimes the wallet hurts! I mean, if I can get a 6'er of PBR tallboys for like 5 bucks...yeah buddy! ;)

Every beer has become research to me now......from old rasputin to a new sam adams to miller lite.

Pro: Some research tastes really really good

Con: Some research makes me wanna rinse my mouth out with cough syrup

True S.N.O.B.s live in Oregon. Quality beer is worth the price. I'd much rather have one or two good beers and I don't care even slightly what other people drink. Not my taste-buds. Whining about other people's beer choices is rather silly.

I feel you on this one. I would agree with NorCal though, I don't put people down for their beer choice unless it's a friend and I'm just joking around. I'll drink a natty light at a part for some pong if I dont have to pay for it. I'm sorry but I just can't justify paying for poor quality beer, but I'm frugal enough to take advantage of free beer. The lowest I'll stoop is yuengling lager or black&tan, and only if I'm really strapped for cash and want beer that badly. Mostly it's newcastle(my staple), woodchuck, or a new craft beer I see at Bruno's (most recently Lazy Magnolia's Indian summer ale, too bad I'm sick and can't really taste it that well).

I say cheer up! There is nothing wrong with knowing what you like and what you don't. I agree with the growler idea 100%.

Think of it this way, you are not the guy looking at every craft beer in the super liquor dept. that has the best selection of these, in your town. You are the guy that can swoop in grab what ya need and get out of there. I have gotten much better at the latter myself.

As for the cost killing you, brew more and growlers are cheap. :tank:

I don't like to bottle much unless it is something that needs to be aged for a long time. I just fill up a growler or two, maybe even a six pack and go to my friends. By the time we finish the beer I bring the PBR doesn't taste great but it goes down.

I've converted to a beer snob. We went to a Cardinals game the other day. They have A-B products. I ordered Budweiser and couldn't drink it. I used to drink this occasionally, but now it seems too bitter and sharp tasting. Not at all smooth. ACK. I didn't nag others for drinking it though.

I say cheer up! There is nothing wrong with knowing what you like and what you don't. I agree with the growler idea 100%.

Think of it this way, you are not the guy looking at every craft beer in the super liquor dept. that has the best selection of these, in your town. You are the guy that can swoop in grab what ya need and get out of there. I have gotten much better at the latter myself.

As for the cost killing you, brew more and growlers are cheap. :tank:

I always look at every single beer in the store! I usually take about 10 minutes to browse the beer section. Never know what could be hiding in there.

I don't think that I have become a beer snob, but that I've always been someone who likes good beer. I don't criticize others' choices, but if all I can get is BMC then I'll just take water.

I've found that as I've sharpened my palate and gotten into a wider variety of beer, even though I've moved away from the standard swill, I can still find something to share with someone. Last weekend I was visiting my mom and my cousin was coming over to watch the football game with me. He's not very adventurous in the beer area and usually drinks bud light, coors light, etc. So I picked up a six pack of kolsh and he really liked it. There's usually something you can get someone to enjoy that you can like too.

My main issue with the home brew right now is that my fridge went out and I have no way to cool my kegs which means they are pouring straight foam unless I have them iced down. SO bringing HB means bringing kegs and Ice. MMost of my friends enjoy my beer, some them just can't handle more than a couple of the Hoppier beers, but I keep something milder at the house for those cases as well.

I hate the term beer snob. That implies a huge negative connotation and personally, I don't like to be around those type of people.

I don't drink any AB or MillerCoors products, but I don't put down those who drink them. It's all about being a beer geek. We know a good amount about beer, and prefer some better beer, but we don't ridicule those who drink crappy beer.

Beer snob = bad
Beer geek = good

I hate the term beer snob. That implies a huge negative connotation and personally, I don't like to be around those type of people.

I don't drink any AB or MillerCoors products, but I don't put down those who drink them. It's all about being a beer geek. We know a good amount about beer, and prefer some better beer, but we don't ridicule those who drink crappy beer.

Beer snob = bad
Beer geek = good

I think Sam Calagione's lawyers might contact you for plagiarism on this one.

a beer snob is more attracted to the higher-prices and eliteness of hard-to-find beers than the actual flavours. This is similar in appearance to an actual connoisseur or purist, but the key difference is that one actually seeks flavourful beers for the complexity and flavour, and the other seeks beers based more on branding and eliteness.

There’s beer geeks and there’s beer snobs, and I’m a card-carrying, dyed-in-the-wool member of the beergeek community. How I differentiate between a beer geek and a beer snob is this: they could have an equal amount of knowledge about beer; they could have equally awesome palates; [they] can articulate everything about the qualities of beer; [and they can] tell you the history of brewing styles. Their knowledge might be the same. But a beer geek loves beer because he or she loves beer, and they want to learn more always, try new beers, and share that with the people they love. Whereas beer snobs try to know as much as they can about beer as a power point and to lord it over people, or to stick out as an expert in a field of neophytes.

- Sam

Latest posts

Back