Sake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was an extensive "how to" in a Brew Your Own. Not a hard process but, takes a while and is suggested that timing is exacting. And that is onloy after you have found the proper rice and Koji.

In the recent Zymurgy there was also a artcile on Sake and they cited a book as being the most comprehensive and easiest to follow.

I thought about it for a while. Decided to buy the bottled instead.

never made it but there are plenty of articles on the internet that tell you how. I've looked. the key ingredient is a special type of mold. don't remember the name but if you do your Googling you will find it.

Ive read up on the process before i decided i didnt want to make it. Basically the idea behind it is you cook the rice, then you add Koji spores to it (mold). The koji spores grow and convert the starch to sugars (cooked rice doesnt have any enzymes to do it itslef). After a certain time has passed and the koji is pretty much done with its job you add the yeast and then it ferments just like wine or beer. The rest of its pretty standard (racking, bottling etc)

If you check the rest of the threads on the wine making forum(it was just down about 10 or so threads) there is a great thread on sake with many good links and one is from a member of this forum. I love a good sake in the winter and yes, I do like it warm(about 85 f.) it really makes a cold winter night much easier to handle.:D

Funny you ask this, I just got the new issue of Winemaker and they have a whole article on how to make sake. Didn't read it yet, but might be worth looking at.

My homebrew store sells the koji spores. might be worth calling your LHBS. Though mine does "specialize" in winemaking, they carry a lot of stuff for both hobbies.

I am actually starting my batch today. I am using Bob Taylor's method. I will post updates and bug Mr. Taylor with plenty of questions...lol

zman,

Where can I get more information on the health dangers. I've never heard of that.

Checked the posts, not sure if this link was mentioned. This is another decent resource.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Foodpia/1751/index.html

I was pleased to find Mr. Hoshido willing to answer any of my questions that I e-mailed him. Give it a look; also has some tasty info on the other delicious things you can put kogi to use to.

Because I'm weird like that, I'm wondering how wines brewed with other fermentables (IE, malt, grapes, etc) other than rice, using kogi would turn out. Anyone??

zman,

Where can I get more information on the health dangers. I've never heard of that.

Koji is mold spores. Mold spores can cause allergic reactions.

The link belopw suggesting that "mushrooms will grow in your lungs" is absurd but, covering your mouth and nose is adviseable.

I made a batch last summer using Bob Taylor's method. The schedule sucked, especially the Hatsuzoe where I had to stir every two hours over night. But the finished product was outstanding. It was some of the best sake I had ever tasted. However, the pasteurization instructions were less than clear and I didn't get completely pasteurized. My once tasty beverage spoiled and ended up down the drain.

I plan to try this again this spring.

I haven't been on this site for a while - I was just clearing my mailbox out and decided to look around a bit. I have to tell everyone that the koji spores are perfectly safe, the idea of covering your mouth is quite funny and I have only ever seen it mentioned on one site. Koji spores won't grow in your lungs, ever.

Ive recently got into drinking sake....

I found some 1,500 ml bottles that are pretty damn tasty for a whopping $8

Think I'll just stock up on that stuff because Ive read its a pretty involved process and it takes a while to get encouraging results when making it yourself.

Mine is finally bottled and is quite tasty. After I get a few lagers and the Ginger Ale done. I am going to do another batch. Here are some pics of the finished product. I wound up getting almost 3 gallons. It took for ever to do but it was so fun and so worth it. Thanks to TaylormadeAK for the excellent writeup and for answering all my questions

lotsa sake.jpg

Sake2.jpg

So I assume sake does not keep very well? Having had it recently and experiencing the "halo" it provides I am intrigued....bump.

So I assume sake does not keep very well? Having had it recently and experiencing the "halo" it provides I am intrigued....bump.

I have been drinking Sake for a long time. Have never heard of a "Halo".

What were you drinking? Heated or cold?

How old was it and how long had it been opened?

I have read that Sake will oxidize just like a wine.

I realize this post is fairly old, but here's my two bits:

Properly stored, unopened double pasteurized clear sake has an unrefrigerated shelf life of at least two years. If kept refrigerated, that can be extended almost indefinitely.

Nigorizake and nama sake have considerably shorter shelf lives, and should never be stored unrefrigerated under any circumstances.

E-mail notification for this thread is turned on. If you guys continue the discussion, I'll know about it. :)

Coming in years later here!

I just had to dump my first attempt at sake using Will Auld's guide. Very disappointing haha.

It was super harsh. Like nail polish. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure what it was that went wrong. Infection? But infection of what?

I had a few known issues:
-My polisher was breaking my rice, so I wasn't starting with the proper polished rice.
-My temperature during the Moto was too high for about 3 days per Will Aulds guide.

Issues I suspect:
-Will's method has yeast pitched right off the bat, but this seems like over-pitching to me since there isn't much sugar available right away. I'll be trying Bob's method of pitching after two days.
-My moromi water additions were 50/50 distilled and spring water. I think I may do JUST distilled next time. I also suspect there was chlorine and or chloramine in the spring water despite it not being on the water profile on the label.
-I'm a little confused on temperatures since the fermentation is so much lower than Wyeast's guidelines. I understand this is to keep lactobacillus down? I'll be using Bob's method this time, but I'll still go the lactic acid addition route and keep the moto temperature lower.

I'm hoping to get good at this and produce some good video guides because it is incredible to me that there isn't a single comprehensive video on sake brewing on youtube.

Any advice to this failed newbie is appreciated.

Back