First time cider maker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d510addict

Reaction score
I'm looking for some ideas of what a aging worthy cider will taste like freshly out of the bucket. I made my first batch ever 2 days ago and airlock activity is going up (slowly but surely @61ish degrees). I used 1 gallon organic freshpressed hoodriver (ryans) cider that has been flash pasteurized w/no preservatives, and about 1.5lbs of turbinado surger w/1 packet redstar champaign yeast. I think its too much sugar (I wanted it dry but but next time I think ill stick with 1 pound per gallon tops). Is there a particular quality that I'm looking for in a early cider that will be a tip off on whether or not it will age into a good cider?

I also wanted to ask about a good cider recipe, I like the idea of the graff, but I really dislike hoppy beers and love malty ones Newcastle being one of my favs. Would using honey iin addition to dme (edited got this confused with that apelwein) and cutting out the hops in favor of something like a carmely roasted grain do alright? If you think so what kind of additive would be good for an additional roasty/malty/wheaty flavor.

1.5 lb sugar per gallon is a wicked lot. you will definitely have a dry wine-like product that doesn't taste too much like apples. it will also require much more aging. I doubt that taste testing any time soon will be indicative of the final result.

Friends, PDX is almost home to Wandering Angus cider. Go out and get some to find out what cider should taste like. Also, you might want to subscribe to the Cider Digest to tap some really smart people from all over the planet. It's good stuff. http://www.talisman.com/cider/#Digest

Finally, if you're passionate about your cider, take the cider making class as UW. I took it at Cornell in NY and it's a great class.

1.5 lb sugar per gallon is a wicked lot. you will definitely have a dry wine-like product that doesn't taste too much like apples. it will also require much more aging. I doubt that taste testing any time soon will be indicative of the final result.

Agree w/ this.. I did some small test batches, 1 gallon ones, and used way too much sugar as well. It was very dry and wine-like. Didn't taste the greatest unless mixed with some fresh cider and then it wasn't too bad. Learned my lesson and my 5 big batches (5 gallons) have either no sugar at all or 2lbs max of sugar or honey. So far they all taste fantastic, even after primary for only a week.

Ya i knew i messed up as soon as i added it. Well its a small batch so no worries, ill let it do its thing for a few weeks the rack and drink it. I drink bad liquor enough to handle this imo. Hopefully i can find a source of income cause as soon as i do im going to start 2 5 gallon batches 1 of graff 1 of basic cider but only a pound of honey for a stronger batch.

Oh nice, i just checked my cider threw the bung hole in the bucket and it seems to have a nice lacy top (krausen i believe) and still a nice sweet maybe slightly yeasty apply smell.

Used nottingham in my apfelwein and after about 26 hours it has 1/2" of krausen on the top.........hope it doesn't get more more as I have no blowoff valve.

Back