The local brew store has a special running

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smorris

Reaction score
Before I tell the wife I want it for Xmas I thought I would ask the experienced folks here. It contains:
7 gallon (I think) first stage fermenter food grade bucket with top and air lock.
Glass carboy for the second stage.
Hoses and fitting for siphoning.
SG guage, and thermomater (sp).
Brushes for cleaning.
How to book.

For $69. Does that sound about right? I'd still need scales, spoons, etc, but it sounds pretty good to me to get into more sophisticated brewing than the Mr. Beer can do,

That does not sound like a bad deal. I know the local brew store to me sells a beginnger kit with one stage fermentation plastic bucket for about $65. So it is like you are getting the glass carboy for free. Another place to look for kits is on ebay, I found mine there for approx $30 and it came with 7 gallon fermentation bucket, hoses, capper, caps, brush, sg gage, bottling bucket, airlock and sanitizing agent and it was all brand new. The local store sell 6 gal carboys for around $20 so we would come out about equal after I payed shipping. Ebay is not as convenient for those wanting to brew this weekend but you can find deals every now and then.

Sounds like a good deal. It is nice to have the glass carboy as a secondary fermenter. This greatly improves the clarity and flavor of the beer.

I agree, it sound like a fair deal. Get a good book on homebrewing too, I recommend Charlie Papazian's The Complete joy of homebrewing, but you could also ask in your local homebrew shop.

Good luck with your homebrewing!

Back