wine barrel problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myty1705

Reaction score
Ok, a friend of mine gave me a wine barrel, and I want to use it to secondary some beer in and get some of the flavors from the sine and oak out of it.

Only problem is, it's 30 gallon barrel:drunk:, and I can't/don't want to afford a 30 gallon batch of beer.

My question is.........Could I place a plastic bag with 15-20 gallons of water in the bag tied off just floating in the beer to fill the barrel? That way I get the best of both worlds. Flavor without having to make 30 gallons of one type of beer. Would the bag survive? (I think it would)

Find some other homebrewers in the area and have everyone do the same base batch and then blend them all in the barrel. That's what we've done here for a 55gallon barrel.

only problem is I'm in podunkville, I know of only two others in the area. But that is an option if I could find more. I appreciate it! Any other ideas out there, or opinions on the bag idea?

I'll let you explain to SWMBO!! HAHAHA Oh that's not gonna go well, can I stay at your place!

I may just end up having to do that, so maybe that project goes on the backburner until I have the right equipment to pull off that big of a brew. Thanks guys!

I'll let you explain to SWMBO!! HAHAHA Oh that's not gonna go well, can I stay at your place!

I may just end up having to do that, so maybe that project goes on the backburner until I have the right equipment to pull off that big of a brew. Thanks guys!

Sure come on over, we can put your 25 next to the 37 I'm doing tomorrow. :D

Back