LHBS has no WYEAST, replacement for German Ale 1007?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
I need this yeast for Cheeshead's Caramel Cream Ale (that recipe posted a couple years back here that has been a huge hit)....what White Labs and dry yeast would work as a replacement for Wyeast #1007? thanks

From Mr Malty:

Wyeast 1007 German Ale Yeast = WLP036 Düsseldorf Alt Yeast

Your mileage may vary. I've never used either yeast, so I can't speak to the accuracy of this cross-reference.

Cheers,

Bob

Another option would be WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch. That is the yeast I used in my VCCA.

I think a dry yeast like nottingham would work just fine, too. I'm pretty sure that is what I used when I made that recipe about 3 years ago.

You won't taste any of the yeast character anyway in this recipe, so I'd use whatever you can get cheaply or what you have on hand.

As stated above, WLP036 is the same strain as 1007. It is seasonal but fortunately it is in season right now!

I think a dry yeast like nottingham would work just fine, too. I'm pretty sure that is what I used when I made that recipe about 3 years ago.

You won't taste any of the yeast character anyway in this recipe, so I'd use whatever you can get cheaply or what you have on hand.

Yooper, are you in that camp of people who didn't care much for this recipe? I read quite a bit of that thread, and noticed that a large percentage of the 'elder-statesmen' of HBT did not like this recipe or felt it was too far off from traditional beer. What did you think of it, if you don't mind me asking?

Back