American Porter Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this 2.5 weeks ago. I was planning to bottle it this weekend, but the airlock is still fairly active. Surprising, everything else I've brewed with Notty has gone fast, but I did keep the temperature way down this time the first week due to previous Notty explosions.

Airlock was still going a little this morning so I figured I'd take a peek. The krausen was gone, and SG was 1.014. Looks like I should be ready to bottle Saturday. Really excited about this one, it's my first beer where I carefully controlled the temperature during fermentation.

dave8274 said:
Airlock was still going a little this morning so I figured I'd take a peek. The krausen was gone, and SG was 1.014. Looks like I should be ready to bottle Saturday. Really excited about this one, it's my first beer where I carefully controlled the temperature during fermentation.

What temp did you keep it at?

Gents, I just picked this recipe up but I got Belgian Debittered Black Malt instead of just Black Malt. Will this make a huge difference in the beer?

What's everybody getting for an FG? I read at first 1.017. Then I saw a lot of 1.020 and 1.22 's

What should be shooting for?

I'm making 11 gallons of this, and I'm thinking of doing 2oz of oak chips soaked in bourbon for 5.5 gallons. Anyone else try this with oak/bourbon in secondary then keg?

I think oaking it with bourbon soaked chips would be OK, but I'd vote for the cubes for a better overall taste. Bourbon barrel aging is always a good decision in my book for porters/stouts.

Thank you for this recipe. This is the best beer I've made yet, and it's only been in the bottle 2 weeks.

My first all grain, and a perfect beer for the fall and winter months. Two weeks in the bottle and the head isn't quite there, but a week more and I'm guessing it'll be there. Carbonation is good and it tastes outstanding! My only regret is doing this as a 2 1/2 gallon batch since it was my first all grain; needless to say I will be doing this one again.

image-3445716907.jpg

Will using a ~3/8 blowoff tube over the center post of a 3 piece airlock (with the crisscross tip removed) be enough ventilation to prevent an explosion?

I pitched the Notty yesterday and I think my ferm chamber may have been a little on the cold side at 57 so I moved the set point up to 63. Patiently waiting for it to take off now...

I served this among 5 or 6 other beers Saturday night for my Oktoberfest party. Everyone loved it. Will be making this often.

I brewed this about a month and a half ago. I racked it onto a couple of vanilla beans after primary and let it sit there, then kegged. it. I put it on tap over the weekend, to start carbing up and took one taste, just to see how it's going. This really is a good porter. I'm probably going to brew it again soon and skip the vanilla (Vanilla is actually great with this) I just want to see what the base version tastes like. With the vanilla it's superb.

Brewed this yesterday with a half lb of rice hulls, since the corona mill that I used on the grain turned 25% of it into dust and left maybe 10% un-crushed; I need to invest in a real mill.

Mashed with 5 gallons @ 150, sparged with 5 gallons @ 165, collected 8.5 gallons (what the ****?) @ 1.043. Boiled down to 7 gallons and added the 1oz northern brewer and .5oz cascade. Decided to add the last .5 oz of cascade at 5 minutes since that seemed more reasonable than just tossing em.

After an hour I was down to 5.5 gallons reading 1.068 with the refractometer. Chilled to 17C and pitched my starter of liquid notty, set the fridge to 17.5C +/- 1C. Hadn't taken off yet as of this morning, but I'm not too concerned since the starter seemed to lag a bit also.

Also, now I know that notty is also available dry. Should have saved myself the money and time and picked up a pack of that instead of paying out the ass for the white labs liquid.

l6LJTTY.jpg

You weren't kidding about Notty being active. I think my blow off container needs its own blow off tube.

Heh, your headspace was little to begin with. I did a 5ga batch in an 8ga Speidel and it still blew the top!
Yeah, sadly I'm a little confined for space in my tiny fermentation fridge, due to similar lack of space in my tiny apartment.

But hey, the fridge was free, and it works, so it's not too big a deal if I have to clean beer out of it every few times I brew.

I need to find a larger volume fermenter that will fit in there better.

Not a knock on your setup in the slightest. That you brew and can maintain temps in an apt is a testament to your commitment all in of itself!

Just a commentary on how much foam this beer blows!

I did 10 gallons of this this weekend, and I've had all of the carboys out of my ferm "freezer" twice to clean up the geysers. I've had blow off tubes on both carboys, but I let a few whole cascade cones get in the second carboy. Churn-plug- BOOM. What a mess. Smells great though!

I just finished brewing this and hit a 1.060. I can't wait to try it in a few weeks. Thanks for the recipe! :mug:

Brewed this outdoors today (a magnificent Fall day in Pennsylvania) and hit OG of 1.062. Looking forward to sharing some at Christmas.

ok maybe dumb question but what do you have taped to your carboy?

CliffMongoloid is correct. It's the temp probe from my STC-1000 buried under a layer of foam to try and isolate the temperature as much as possible.

Looks pretty rigged, but it works!

Brewed this up Saturday and all I can say is I never expected as crazy of a fermentation. Wow! Just a laugh riot sitting and watching it go crazy. Blow off is a must for this. Smells are fantastic.

I have a couple ideas going through my mind for this beer. I'm really thinking of doing a Belgian Stout/Porter this year, and I tend to like Porters mroe than Stouts, some Stouts just are too acrid and harsh on the roasty bitterness.

With that said has anybody used WLP002? I have some washed fro ma Porter I did earlier this year and don't see why it wouldn't work here. I'm also thinking of either makinig two batches or splitting one and using WLP550 - Belgian Ale or WY3522 - Belgian Ardennes, since I have those washed as well to make a Belgian Porter.

I just tasted my latest batch of this and it plain sucks, not sure what went wrong with the batch. When I tasted it just after fermentation ended it was hash, not delicious and roasty like previous batches. I figured it would clean up with some time and left it in primary for 6 weeks. It got better when I went to keg it but still not great, it tasted a bit off and finished really thin. I figured carbonation would help. After being carbed its better, but still not like my last 4 batches.

Not sure where I went wrong, will have to go over my notes again. The batch is drinkable, but not really shareable, it does not live up to the quality of my previous attempts at this.

O well, I will just have to make another batch soon!

In hindsight I should have just let it sit in primary for a while. I might just take it off the gas and let it warm up and sit for a few months to see if that helps it any. Thoughts?

Brewing this up now. The mash smelled awesome. Hit pre boil dead on. Excited for this batch, my first try at a porter. I'm going to add some coffee and vanilla beans to the secondary too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

How much cold pressed coffee to add? I've seen anywhere from 2 oz beans in 8 oz water to almost 4x that. Looking for a more than subtle coffee flavor here.

I'm thinking about using 4oz cold steeped added to the secondary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I've done both, 8oz is great for a strong coffee flavor in a big beer, if you only want mild coffee flavor do 4oz cold brewed... delicious

Latest posts

Back