William's Brewing Invert Tube Backnut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclaughlintk

Reaction score
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/INVERT_TUBE_BACKNUT_P179C104.cfm

Does anyone have experience using these?
I ferment in 6 gallon plastic buckets and siphon with a racking cane into my bottling bucket. I'm looking to keep as much of a closed system as possible without using CO2. So i figure when I'm ready to rack to the bottling bucket I could just switch out my air lock for a sanitary air filter and open the valve to rack without ever having to take the top off the primary or messing around with starting a siphon.

any feed back is appreciated.
Thanks

I don't

but my bottling bucket has a plastic valve that on it that I open and close with a small handle

This comment is probably no help

mclaughlintk said:
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/INVERT_TUBE_BACKNUT_P179C104.cfm

Does anyone have experience using these?
I ferment in 6 gallon plastic buckets and siphon with a racking cane into my bottling bucket. I'm looking to keep as much of a closed system as possible without using CO2. So i figure when I'm ready to rack to the bottling bucket I could just switch out my air lock for a sanitary air filter and open the valve to rack without ever having to take the top off the primary or messing around with starting a siphon.

any feed back is appreciated.
Thanks

That's exactly what those are intended for. I have a couple, and have been using them for as long as I have been brewing. I don't mess with the air filter, but if that's the way you do it, go for it. Those things are only four bucks, so what the hell, give them a try.:rockin:

I second what jamebow said as I saw them last week at Williams which is 5 miles from me. I stopped by their business and found out they are mail order only but was looking at that fitting. If placed low it will not work and pick up the yeast.

I'm confused on how they work. Are they just an elbow piece with threads to accommodate the backend of a spigot or something more? What does the invert backnut mean and where does it enter into the equation of clear beer?

The theory behind it is they keep the beer from entering the spigot, thus reducing the chance of infection. You screw the backnut on inside the plastic fermenter, with the elbow pointing down. A little air trapped in there keeps the beer from flowing into the spigot.

Back