Faucet Locks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willkere

Reaction score
I've been trying to research a way to keep my roommates out of my kegerator.

I have a 3 tap tower in a chest freezer but I don't have the key for the freezer to lock it.

I also don't want to spend $30+ for faucet locks. Has anyone seen DIY faucet locks or have any suggestions.?

Right not I have a snowboard lock with a small cable going around the tap handle and the tower. It works for one of the taps but looks ghetto.

The freezer locks don't work anyway. You can open them easily with a screw driver or butter knife.

I would put a hasp and a padlock on the freezer and a shut off inside. It would certainly be the most secured method, I would think.

Maybe I'm lucky by living with my girlfriend and brother. Neither of them would drink my HB if I didn't want them to or just asked. Not that I do, they actually both pay for batches every once in a while to ease the burden of cost.

Can you just try asking your roomates nicely to contribute if they want to drink?

Tell them two taps have beer, and one is urine from a syphilitic prostitute and that it is up to them determine which one is the urine.

That would work about as well as asking them to stay out of it.

Rig up some padlocks on the sides and front of the lid, and disconnect when you're not going to be there.

You'd have to spend a few min getting everything back up and running when you wanted a brew, but it would keep your roommates out of it.

I was trying not to have to use a padlock. It would ruin the look of the kegerator.

My 3 roommates aren't really the problem it the 40+ guys in my fraternity that live next door. The can very easily kill 4 kegs before I even notice.

I like the look of the faucet locks but there are just so damn expenseive. I was wondering if anyone ever tried to weld one or something like that.

If you don't want to ruin the look of your kegerator than you're almost going to have to come up with some scratch for faucet locks.

I'd spend the money. I'd get tired of kicking everyone's arse after they kicked my kegs. :D

I'm going to have to evaluate this same situation in 5 years or so as my kids get older.

Cognitive training.

Get them to associate good behaviour with rewards and unwanted behaviour with...well.

Keg up something unpleasant and leave it on tap. Why not bottle up something of a surprise and leave for them.

I'm sure they'll think twice about taking in future.

How about a nice big sign.
Leave the **** alone and get your own beer!

Get the black ball lock connectors that have the 1/4" MFL fittings. When you leave, disconnect the beer lines, take off the black ball lock connectors and take them with you.

This will only work till they get their own connectors though. :D

Take the faucets too.

On the creative side:

Call their mothers. lol. I know it sounds dumb, but I've seen it cause a lot of heat. Depends on the people you're dealing with.

Maybe look at getting metal handles and a megger...

Hard wire a 120 dB horn to the tap...

Sounds like some mf'ers could use a good old fashioned beat down. That's theft, you know. I'd wait in the dark for the ****s to steal your brew, and pop 'em with a pellet gun shot to the neck.

I can't believe how much of an ******* some people are. If people were stealing my beer, I wouldn't be trying to lock it, I'd be trying to figure out creative ways to teach them a lesson not to steal other people's sh*t. Especially college frat boys.

psychodad said:
Tell them two taps have beer, and one is urine from a syphilitic prostitute
What if they are BMC drinkers? I mean...that's just flavor, to a High Life man.

Personally, I wouldn't live with people I can't trust to respect my property.

Get some Quick Disconnects in the co2 line to the kegs. Take the co2 adapters with you when you leave. no co2 means no beer (after the pressure in the keg dissipates). but that's going to leave you with some flat beer in the kegs but maybe after a few times, they won't do it again?

briandickens said:
Get some Quick Disconnects in the co2 line to the kegs. Take the co2 adapters with you when you leave. no co2 means no beer (after the pressure in the keg dissipates). but that's going to leave you with some flat beer in the kegs but maybe after a few times, they won't do it again?

Any quick disconnect system is just going to stop them till the first time one of your roomates or neighbors sees you 'fix' the problem. Then they'll all know how you are 'securing' your stuff.

There are only 2 practical options. Either pony up for faucet locks or figure out some way to lock the door of the fridge and then disconnect the beer lines when you are done at night.

Get the dogs from the Bud commercial.

Or move the 'rator to your bedroom.

Or flat out tell them you're sick of this **** and they need to chip in or shove off.

Or get a job and move out.

Evan! said:
Sounds like some mf'ers could use a good old fashioned beat down. That's theft, you know. I'd wait in the dark for the ****s to steal your brew, and pop 'em with a pellet gun shot to the neck.

I can't believe how much of an ******* some people are. If people were stealing my beer, I wouldn't be trying to lock it, I'd be trying to figure out creative ways to teach them a lesson not to steal other people's sh*t. Especially college frat boys.

Remind me NEVER to get on Evan's bad side...LOL:D

Exlax dissolved in a really cheap batch of brew.........just leave that keg on tap when ya go!....then watch THEM go! Naw, really the only way to fix the problem is to address it with them.... You lock something up in a dorm type situation, it will become a target.

In any random group of 40 guys someone WILL know how to pick a lock. Even a good padlock wont keep them out if they are determined.

The guys I live with pay without any problems. I have a sheet with their names on it and they just put a tick mark when they take a beer.

I'm not really super worried about it, I thought that making some kind of DIY faucet locks would just be another beer related project I could work on. Since noone has seen any DIY locks maybe I'll try to come up with something and be the first.

I have the money to buy them but I'd rather DImyself and save the money for beer ingredients. Plus I'm a grad student and those loans of mine will be due soon.

Back