Why is my brew so foamy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txstars15

Reaction score
I recently tapped into my batch of holiday ale, which tastes great. However, this batch is super foamy and half my glass is foam. I have not had this happen with other batches. What may have caused this? Its more of an inconvenience than anything as you really have to wait for the glass foam to subside before imbibing!

How much priming sugar? How long did you give it, at room temp, to prime? How long after that was it in the fridge to let the CO2 dissolve?

Here's another thought that's been in the back of my head. What temp did you use in the priming calculator? I've used the current temp,& got a lot of head & carbonation. Other times I've used the actual ferment temp (the highest temp reached),& gotten less head & carbonation.
I think we need a better understanding of this aspect of brewing. I've even changed the "co2 by volume" number in that box to set it where I thought the level of carbold be,with mixed results.
That said,it's also to do with your process,& what you brewed the beer with that govern how much head you'll wind up getting.

what was asked above, how much priming sugar?
4-5oz per 5 gallon batch is about what i use, and they turn out awesomely carb'd.
3-4 weeks, then if i'm ging to drink any it's going in the fridge for another few weeks.

The batch was brewed from a Williams Brewing kit so the priming sugar was pre-measured in a sealed pouch. I bottled at room temp then let it carb up, also at room temp, for 3 weeks, then on to aging in frig at around 40-45 degrees.

How long in fridge?

And I can tell you based on first-hand experience, assuming those pre-measured pouches to be pre-measured correctly can be a mistake! On the one (yes, one) batch that I bottled, I used the pre-measured packed of priming sugar. And I wound up with an even dozen bottle bombs before I was done! Not cool!

Now, it's possible that more time in the fridge is all that's necessary to allow the CO2 to get fully into solution with your beer, and that you'll be fine given another week or so in there.

But if not, what I can suggest is this: Take a bottle opener and just lift the edge of each cap enough to let some gas escape - don't actually open the cap! Just let some gas out. Put the beers back in the fridge overnight, then check one the next day. If it's still too foamy, repeat the process again until you get back down to your desired level of carbonation.

4-5oz per 5 gallon batch is about what i use, and they turn out awesomely carb'd.

Revenin and others - do you measure 4-5 oz by weight with a scale or with a measuring cup? I've always used a measuring cup until my last bottle session a couple of days ago. I normally filled the measuring cup (one of those Pyrex ones) to the 5 oz mark and used that. But when I weighed 5 oz of priming sugar, it ended up being close to 7 oz on the measuring cup. I went with it, but am a little nervous about bombs. I figured I would try it once. Just wondering how most measure this out.

Revenin and others - do you measure 4-5 oz by weight with a scale or with a measuring cup? I've always used a measuring cup until my last bottle session a couple of days ago. I normally filled the measuring cup (one of those Pyrex ones) to the 5 oz mark and used that. But when I weighed 5 oz of priming sugar, it ended up being close to 7 oz on the measuring cup. I went with it, but am a little nervous about bombs. I figured I would try it once. Just wondering how most measure this out.

always by weight... how fine the sugar is ground determines the volume

what he said ^^^^
it's hard to measure stuff like that with measuring cups. even though IIRC it's basically 2/3rds of a cup

to be more specific the measuring cup is marked of in fluid ounces, not to be confused with weight which is what the recipe calls for. It dosent help with those memory phrases confusing things like "a pint is a pound" no its not! they might both be 16 oz but not the same kind... ok im done ranting... see what happens when I am at work... i need to go home and get a homebrew

I use a digital scale ($20 at Walmart) & the priming calculator at tastybrew.com. Def the right way to do it to style.

IIRC, 3/4 cup is roughly 4.5 oz for dextrose. Again, volume can vary based on the fineness of the sugar, but I don't have a scale so that's what I go by.

How many bottles have you opened? It may be that one or a couple of your bottles were not properly cleaned and got a slight infection that may or may not affect the taste of your beer.

I have had this happen a couple of times and it seemed to be isolated to just a couple of bottles; they foamed up like crazy but tasted ok.

Good tips on the weights. I've been using the measuring cup for over a year and get pretty decent carb, but I have had a couple of batches of duds. Still tastes good, but flat. I have a nice scale that I will use for all future batches!

How many bottles have you opened? It may be that one or a couple of your bottles were not properly cleaned and got a slight infection that may or may not affect the taste of your beer.

I have had this happen a couple of times and it seemed to be isolated to just a couple of bottles; they foamed up like crazy but tasted ok.

This could be that the priming sugar was not fully mixed up and some of them just had more sugar in them than others.

The batch was brewed from a Williams Brewing kit so the priming sugar was pre-measured in a sealed pouch. I bottled at room temp then let it carb up, also at room temp, for 3 weeks, then on to aging in frig at around 40-45 degrees.

I wonder if the pouch was overloaded based on "preference".

It dosent help with those memory phrases confusing things like "a pint is a pound" no its not!

It mostly works with beer, water, and the like. A fl oz of water weighs 1.04 ounces (avoirdupois, not troy or apothecary, or Spanish or Maria Theresa either, but those last two are far less common). So, the difference between a pint and a pound is less than 3/4 of an ounce (for light-density liquids). Of course, that's assuming a US (or pre-1824 Commonwealth) pint . . . .

I use a digital scale ($20 at Walmart) & the priming calculator at tastybrew.com. Def the right way to do it to style.

I was using 3/4 cup priming sugar in just about all of my ales for years, until I invested in a digital kitchen scale & started using the carbonation calculator. Never had any disasters with the 3/4 cup method, but the scale gives much better results and no worries about over-carb, definitely recommend this route.

I'll have to give the gas release method a try for my own foamy brew. I have a feeling though that it'll take a few days that way. It gets foamier as it ages too.

I'm pretty sure there was too much sugar in mine, the kit recipe said 6 oz. and I know enough to not use more than 5 but I just dumped the whole package in without reading it.

:tank:First off I've read all of these post and not one person seemed to think of or mention bacteria. It's common knowledge that beer is alive. This is the reason we use air locks and CLEAN gear. If enough bacteria is introduced to your home brew you may notice these side effects

1. A strong ass like taste. (spoiled) :smack:
2. Beer Bombs! :rockin:
3. Super foam. (great joke for the party drunks):ban:

Remember that Sanitizing is not Sterilizing. To sanitize is to kill some if not most bacteria good and bad. To sterilize is to kill all life in or on an object. Just think of it like this, if your sterile you can't have babies......no more... nothing..... done! Get the point?

There was mention of infection, and this is a zombie thread.
First post, reviving an 18 month old thread, coming off like you know more and restating common knowledge as if many don't know the effects of infection is not the best way to start out.
Welcome to the community.

Back