How much should I use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcapone

Reaction score
So I have a blonde ale kit left over from the Mr. Beer my girlfriend got me a while back and I thought I should actually use it. I'm thinking of making adding strawberries and honey to it but I'm not sure of how much to use to get a good balance for a 2.5 gallon batch.

I'm thinking of 2lbs of strawberries and 2 cups of honey....any thoughts or advice?

That doesn't sound bad for the strawberries. I've seen a few recipes that called for about a pound per gallon of beer, but you might want to look around and see if you can find any with some good reviews of the finished beer to find out how they turned out.

As far as the honey, I'm not sure that it will give you a whole lot. The honey will completely ferment out and just dry out the beer. Even if you use a fairly strongly flavored honey I'd think the strawberries would cover up any of the flowery honey flavors. Does the Mr. Beer blonde kit include any sugar in the recipe? If it does, you'd be drying the beer out even further, which might make it a little too watery, although it would boost the alc%.

If you're shooting for a little sweetness, you could steep a little honey malt or crystal instead. You could even do a steep and add some honey, that would give you some unfermentables to bulk up the beer and cancel out some of the thinness from the honey. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, I already did the two cups of honey and boiled it with the wort. Oh well, we'll see how it turns out.

The kit came with something they call "Booster" which I'm pretty sure is just sugar. I wasn't aware that there even was a honey malt, I definitely would have used that instead. I guess I'll have to try that next time.

Back