HOW the hell did I get here!?....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itzkramer

Reaction score
I started looking into brewing beer because I thought I would save some money and always have beer available without going to the corner store. I did a lot of research and decided to skip the Mr. Beer kit and go for a "real" kit from Midwest. I figured if I'm gonna spend the money, I might as well do it right the first time(everything plus a carboy kit).

1 year later....

even though i'm at least $1000 into brewing equipment, I still havn't gotten to where I want to be with my brew or gear. Theres always room for somthing else. I just bought the stuff for the "ebay aquarium temp controller build" and a second fermentor today. On TOP of all that, now im a beer snob. A night out at the bar is at least twice as expensive, and god help me if its a small town bar with no taps and BMC only(its happened, it was horrible).

Now, Im not saying I hate my new brew-centered life, its great. I just never imagined being sucked so far into what started as a money saver, that turned into a full time wallet buster.

....time to go pull another pint off the keggerator... at the brand new handmade bar in the basement.

I always tell new brewers...if you're worried about the money, don't drink. If you want to drink good beer...get out your wallet. Just wait until you decide to drop a few grand on a brew rig...

I can't say I've become a beer snob though. I love and appreciate good beer, but I'll drink a keystone at a friends house anyday. Sometimes I just don't want a heavy expensive beer. I want something I can put down on a hot day and not worry about getting drunk.

For all of the brewers that say they hate BMC...I challenge them to make an American Light Lager with the consistancy and quality that the big guys do. It can't be done. They know how to brew, they just brew for the masses. While I don't like their business practices, I think they make an excellent example of the style.

I started looking into brewing beer because I thought I would save some money and always have beer available without going to the corner store. I did a lot of research and decided to skip the Mr. Beer kit and go for a "real" kit from Midwest. I figured if I'm gonna spend the money, I might as well do it right the first time(everything plus a carboy kit).

1 year later....

even though i'm at least $1000 into brewing equipment, I still havn't gotten to where I want to be with my brew or gear. Theres always room for somthing else. I just bought the stuff for the "ebay aquarium temp controller build" and a second fermentor today. On TOP of all that, now im a beer snob. A night out at the bar is at least twice as expensive, and god help me if its a small town bar with no taps and BMC only(its happened, it was horrible).

Now, Im not saying I hate my new brew-centered life, its great. I just never imagined being sucked so far into what started as a money saver, that turned into a full time wallet buster.

....time to go pull another pint off the keggerator... at the brand new handmade bar in the basement.

*****Giggle***** we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!

I'll agree with you on that one, BMC makes a great product for the style. I'll still drink a BMC if i have too(i prefer miller light), but it just tastes like carbonated water to me now. I like beer with some nice body and real taste to it(malty or hoppy, either is good).

Im glad I spent the money, too. Any day I can buy some grain, hops, and yeast, and turn it into somthing that gets me drunk is a good one :) .

I sure do love me some beer!

I agree, on a 90 degree day at the beach I can put down Bud Light like it is going out of style. There is a time and place for everything.

I can also agree with being totally engrossed with this hobby after receiving a starter kit for Christmas :/

*****Giggle***** we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!
WELL SAID!
I have to ask SWMBO for my 'allowance' to go get grain. Lord I wish she would take up drinking beer! :D
"How the hell did I get here?"
You know, this is a question I've asked often enough. Usually at the very beginning of tapping a new keg in the evening, with a couple of friends (in the event no friends are present, my Boston Terriers will do -they aren't much for drinking, but they DO love to lay by your feet and listen to you prattle on) -either way, I'm not drinking alone, so I'm not an alcoholic -right?
Anyway, I THINK I usually manage to come up with the answer to the ultimate question (and no, its not 42) but I can never remember the answer the next day.
Well, tomorrow I'll be working on kicking the last keg of Ellies Clone, while I smoke a pork shoulder for 12 hrs.... I'll see if I can come up with an answer :D

At work, from time to time, one of my fellow RNs (registered nurse) will make the comment that they are interested in saving money by doing it themselves -I just tell them to forget the idea, spend less on cheaper beer if you want to save money -but come talk to me when you want to brew because its what you actually WANT to do. I quit counting how much my brewery has absorbed from the wallet -its not important. GOOD BEER is important.

I used to be a beer geek, did a year long internship in a craft beer bar in New York in 2008, spent loads of time researching the beers, tasting new ones as they came onto the taps, chatting to brewers / reps you name it.

But I can safely say I knew relatively little about beer until I started brewing it myself last year. It's been a big leap and also rekindled the scientific part of my mind which had been dormant for a few years thanks to my career path.

I at least felt like I knew what I was getting into when I finally took the plunge, though I'm still surprised at just how tempting new toys are!

I brewed with a buddy for almost a year before doing my own, and watched him pick up some nice brew-bling along the way. Now, whenever I'm tempted to splurge on something, I think: I'll just borrow it for now... And usually, the temptation dies down shortly thereafter, though I think I've yet to actually go through with borrowing any gear.

1 year later....

Are you an official SNOB? That is, are you part of the Society of Northeast Ohio Brewers yet? If not, you should really look into joining, there are a ton of knowledgeable members that you are guaranteed to learn something from every meeting!

Are you an official SNOB? That is, are you part of the Society of Northeast Ohio Brewers yet? If not, you should really look into joining, there are a ton of knowledgeable members that you are guaranteed to learn something from every meeting!

I'd LOVE to come to a SNOB meeting when I'm in the area, but I never know when/where. Can you send me a link to some meeting times? Thanks!

I started with the Beer Machine 2000, and now I have an all-electric HERMS indoor system. I'm still working on upgrades as I need to, so I don't expect I'll ever be "done". I was a person who wanted to make good beer cheap in the beginning. Now I just settle for great beer. :D

I just want to be able to consistently make great beer with a minimum of fussing around. Haven't got there yet, but I'm working on it! I'll probably quit when I'm dead or broke.

And, it's still cheaper than buying parts for the mustang!

Hmm. It is MY intention to continue brewing long after I'm dead and gone from this earth. If I end up in heaven (not sure how I feel about that since they seem to prefer wine, biblically, but beer isn't ruled out anywhere that I can find) I'll brew Kolsch and pilsners in general -but if I end up downstairs, I'll stick with beers more favorable to warm temps -maybe the Brits have something there....

How the hell did I get here? I've uttered the phrase a few different hobbies. Let's see I've seriously been into waterfowl hunting, fly fishing, barbeque comps, beer, homebrewing, and guitar. The only ones that have stuck are beer/hombrewing and fly fishing. I still barbeque, but have no desire to take it beyond cooking for friends and family.

What I didn't realize, and thus uttered the above phrase, was how much beer had begun to consume me. I love beer, I mean just love it. I believe it is the single greatest invention on the planet. I believe it is a crime against humanity to deprive people of good beer, and that as a beer lover it is my duty to educate the masses regardig beer. Do I know all there is to know, not a chance in hell. But I have found myself continually learning, studying, consuming, analyzing, brewing, tasting, watching, smelling, and did I mention drinking BEER! That is what it always comes back to. I can go months without touching my other hobbies, but never more than a day without thinking about beer. With brewing now coming much more to the front, I've realized that I am a brewer.........I just don't have the cert saying as much. My dream has become to brew a beer someday, and someone say "You know this is better than 'X' Breweries beer." Maybe then I would be able to answer..........How the hell did I get here?

I agree with the above. I used to consider my main hobby as collecting hobbies. I have lost track of the number of hobbies I have gotten into, spent literally thousands of dollars on, then simply quit. That was until I found brewing. I started, spent the dough an then stopped like the rest. But the pull was irresistible and I came back to it. I still collect hobbies but now my hobbies are always 'hobby dejour' AND brewing.

I started looking into brewing beer because I thought I would save some money and always have beer available without going to the corner store.

That's just what your supposed to tell SWMBO. You just have to equate it to her shopping. "Remember when you saved us $1,000.00 on your shopping spree? Well that's what my brewing will do. It will save us thousands on beer." And yes it will save you thousands on beer over the time, it's just the thousands you put into the equipment that sort of evens it out. :D

-Stanley

Feeling claustrophobic,like the doors are closing in,malt stains on my hands,& I don't know where I've been...I'm in trouble for the brews I haven't got to yet,I'm cleaning up some kegs,& my fermenter's getting wet...Sweatin beeers...!!:ban::drunk::cross: Is answer question?...

Oh man I feel like that when I wake up in the middle of the night to check the temp on my fermenter. I just started brewing back in November and its been one hell of a ride so far. After 1 stovetop extract batch I was pulling together funds for converting a cooler and getting a turkey fryer for all grain batches. After the kegerator and the latest upgrade to 4 taps SWMBO is starting to think she gave her blessings too soon. Why is there always something out there you can justify needing or wanting. Electric HERMS system, I will someday have you!!!

Just don't figure in all the equipment and the beer is pretty cheap. Well, that's not counting time, propane/nat gas/electric, water, ice. . .

Last batch I made cost me exactly 0 out of pocket.

Bought the grains and the hops bulk last year. They've been sitting here in my mancave taunting me. "look at all this beer you could be brewing!"

IF I did calculate how much that batch cost it would be right about $12. For 5 gallons/2 cases. Yep. that is cheap beer!

B

For all of the brewers that say they hate BMC...I challenge them to make an American Light Lager with the consistancy and quality that the big guys do. It can't be done. They know how to brew, they just brew for the masses. While I don't like their business practices, I think they make an excellent example of the style.

LB64:

2 lbs 2-row
1 lb white wheat
1 lb crystal 40L
1 oz northern brewer (30 min)
1 oz norhtern brewer (15 min)
WLP001

Single infusion mash @ 152
Sparg at 160 to collect 5.5 gallons
Ferment 2 weeks primary
bottle or keg as usual

OG 1.020
FG 1.005
ABV 2%
SRM 6
IBU 40
Callories: 64 per 12 oz

OK, it tastes more like a Becks than a Budweiser... and it tastes MUCH better, with the same alcohol but less calories than an ultra-light.

I'm sorry but that recipe would turn out nothing like an american light lager.

What would be the motivation to brew an American Light Lager? I mean, if a really good example of the style is Bud Light, why bother? The technical challenge? Not meaning to be snobbish, sarcastic or BMC bashing here, but, really, why would one be motivated to craft brew something like a Bud?

What would be the motivation to brew an American Light Lager? I mean, if a really good example of the style is Bud Light, why bother? The technical challenge? Not meaning to be snobbish, sarcastic or BMC bashing here, but, really, why would one be motivated to craft brew something like a Bud?

Actually Budweiser is probably the best of the mass produced American lagers. It's not particularly light at 5% ABV and about 150 cals I believe. It is intentionally dry from the brewing process (including beachwood) and rice but not as dry as many of the others and it is well balanced between subtle malt and even subtler bitterness/hops. It's actually the gold standard of the style of an American Lager and a very drinkable refreshing beer.

If I'm somewhere and all they have is BMC or BMC plus a bunch of over priced Mexican imports or Japanese imports I go for the Bud and have always enjoyed it. I would never brew it because I would rather make something more my style with more flavor (plus I know I couldn't do it justice), but that doesn't mean I think it's crap, because it is actually well crafted.

I drank bud select like it was my job 5-6 years ago, but I always had a love for craft brews. It was just a lot cheaper to drink select, and I felt like it tasted better than the other American lagers out there.

I pretty much only drink my beer, or the Seasonal Sam Adams mix packs that come out, now. Every now and then though, I'll still drink the hell out of some Miller High Life (my guilty pleasure of beer).

I love craft beer and home brewing top quality stuff.

I'll still drink bud though. Not very often but when I do, I enjoy it.

I wasn't knocking bud. To each his own. Frankly, I have no preference at all among the Light American Lagers, nor among the American Lagers. I just don't care for them. Brewit2it, you can have your Bud and the style. My question, though, was "why would anyone brew a light american lager". Really, I think almost nobody would, unless an uncle or dad asked if he could, and the homebrewer had an odd (perverse?) desire to brew to that style when any of several "fine" examples could be picked up for a pittance on any street corner.

I wasn't knocking bud. To each his own. Frankly, I have no preference at all among the Light American Lagers, nor among the American Lagers. I just don't care for them. Brewit2it, you can have your Bud and the style. My question, though, was "why would anyone brew a light american lager". Really, I think almost nobody would, unless an uncle or dad asked if he could, and the homebrewer had an odd (perverse?) desire to brew to that style when any of several "fine" examples could be picked up for a pittance on any street corner.

I've tried to brew one. I turned out okay, but nothing compared to commercial examples. I think brewing a light lager really shows you what kind of flaws are in your brewing process. I respect the brewers of BMC.

My problem with most "beer snobs" is that at one time, they too drank cheap beer. And, they never complained. If they didn't like it to begin with, why did they drink it? If I don't like milk, I'm not going to drink it because it's the only thing available.

unionrdr said:
Feeling claustrophobic,like the doors are closing in,malt stains on my hands,& I don't know where I've been...I'm in trouble for the brews I haven't got to yet,I'm cleaning up some kegs,& my fermenter's getting wet...Sweatin beeers...!!:ban::drunk::cross: Is answer question?...

If the wwwort of irish red, doesn't take off, then i'll make bread. Three weeks it bubbles then I rack, beer is done agaaiiiiinnnn!

Love me some Megadeth!

I think you misunderstood my post. I said it ISN'T the style I prefer or would brew. I'm actually much more of a hop head. Tonight I had a SN Cellebration Ale (2010) followed by a pint of my most recent pale ale I have on draft for instance. And as a bit of an aside I have to say, the SN was better but not by a lot. In fact at around 40 degrees I preferred mine. The celebrarion ale comes across somewhat harsh with a hop bite that seems somewhat unbalanced with too much bitterness from the Chinook hops, where as mine was perfectly fine at the cold temp with probably 20 less IBU and a full percent less ABV. But once it warmed up to 50-55 the SNCA is damn near a perfect ale in my opinion with incredible balance of bitter hoptaste, fruity citrusy hop aroma, and sweet malt backbone and mouth feel.

But anyway, a beer doesn't have to be my favorite style for me to appreciate it. I'm not that big on most trappist ales or even wheat beers but it doesn't mean I can't enjoy one now and again and appreciate the skill and control that went into it crafting it.

malt stains on my hands,& I don't know where I've been...I'm in trouble for the brews I haven't got to yet,I'm cleaning up some kegs,& my fermenter's getting wet...Sweatin beeers...!!

As I pitch my yeast and hide the evidence of my deeds in the fermenting freezer, and spread the spent grains in my hopyard, I contemplate my next chance to rob some more grain of its' hard-won sugars... Don't forget to harvest a trophy (yeast) for the secret yeast bank tucked in the back of the stand-up freezer -am I clean yet? Is the 'scene'? One way to get rid of evidence is to consume it -time for another pint!:drunk:

I'd LOVE to come to a SNOB meeting when I'm in the area, but I never know when/where. Can you send me a link to some meeting times? Thanks!

I started with the Beer Machine 2000, and now I have an all-electric HERMS indoor system. I'm still working on upgrades as I need to, so I don't expect I'll ever be "done". I was a person who wanted to make good beer cheap in the beginning. Now I just settle for great beer. :D

Here you go:
http://beersnobs.org/

-d

I'm sorry but that recipe would turn out nothing like an american light lager.

It is out of style parameters by OG, SRM,and IBUs... and I use Ale yeast. This is an ultralight, for which I do not beleve there is a recognized category.

That said, it compares quite well none the less... If you want a 'buwieser friendly" crew to enjoy a session and be impressed with how you can easily and cheaply make a superior product that compares well. Since it can basically be made with scraps and finishes quick, I recommend trying it for yourself. I suspect you will see what I mean.

Back