Finally developed a method for quick carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I've screwed up quick carbing so many times that I've been trying to figure out a good way to do it. Usually I'm waaaay too patient and I'll lay the keg in my lap and shake it until it's super overcarbonated. Overcarbonating is the worst because it takes so long to decarbonate a full keg when you have so little airspace.

So I finally developed a method that works for me - nothing too revolutionary here but might work for other people.

I hook up the CO2 and set it to 30psi. I leave the gas connected, and pick the keg up, hold it sideways, and shake it while I'm standing. And then I shake it until I start to get tired. Then I disconnect the gas, pick it back up, shake it a few more times to dissolve the head space, and put it back down.

Then I hook up the gas again, this time set to about 22psi. Same thing - shake until tired, set it down, disconnect, shake a few more times.

Hook it up at 15psi, and then I shake until I'm absolutely beat tired. Usually I'm serving at 12psi so I figure if I accidentally overcarbonate at 15 that's not a big deal.

I like this method because the safety check of "when I get tired" usually means that I won't sit there with it on my lap and ruin it. I'd estimate it's about 2-3 minutes of shaking before I decide I'm ready to give up. It's the burn in your forearms from holding the top and bottom of the keg that gives first.

I've done this a couple times now and it actually gets the beer to a level that's juuuuust under the perfect carbonation, and I don't mind waiting a day or two for it to finish up. Give it a try!

If you dont mind "waiting a day or two for it to finish up" why don't you just set it at 30psi for about 36-48 hrs and give it a shake every twelve hours or so? If you are trying to carb quick it will give you more consistent results while lessening the possibility of over carbing.

If I'm in a big hurry, I'll set mine for 30 psi for 36 hours, then purge and reset at 12 psi. It's usually 48 hours when I start drinking, but the carbonation improve for a few more days. The nice thing is that cold crashing like that means it's crystal clear once I pull off the first 3-4 ounces of sludge.

I'll admit I haven't tried the "set to 30 and wait a couple days." It scares me, but I see a bunch of people do this so it's worth a shot.

I guess with my method I get to go from racking the beer to the keg to tasting it with at least a little carbonation in about 15 minutes.

I'll admit I haven't tried the "set to 30 and wait a couple days." It scares me, but I see a bunch of people do this so it's worth a shot.

I guess with my method I get to go from racking the beer to the keg to tasting it with at least a little carbonation in about 15 minutes.

The waiting 48 hours isn't as fast as shaking it, but it works for me. Don't do 30 psi for more than 36 hours though! That seems to be the key.

Often, if I'm not in a big hurry, I "set it and forget it" at 12 psi for 7-10 days. That works perfectly but sometimes I want it ready a few days faster.

The OP mentions getting tired too much for me to give up on set and forget.

Haha, awesome.

I know I'm a weiner, but I just can't STAND to have beer connected to a tap and have to make myself wait 7-10 days to enjoy it. I gotta get some carbonation in there quick so it tastes more like beer.

Also, I really like to taste beer as young as possible (while still getting a complete fermentation). I'm usually getting my average strength beers on tap after 6-10 days. I use an English ale yeast so the quick ferment plus quick clarity makes this possible. But I definitely admit my beer gets better after a couple weeks. It's just amazing to taste the changes over that period - I feel like I've really learned some things about flavors that disappear over time, and things that meld together. I even feel like I can taste a beer and say "that's green" without even really knowing why or being able to describe it.

Love this hobby.

I'm totally new to kegging, and after a failed attemp at "shaking", I adopted Yooper's method, of 30 PSI for 36 hours, and then serving pressure. I have perfectly carbed and CLEAR beer.

Thanks Yoop

I'm totally new to kegging, and after a failed attemp at "shaking", I adopted Yooper's method, of 30 PSI for 36 hours, and then serving pressure. I have perfectly carbed and CLEAR beer.

Thanks Yoop

I'll be kegging for the first time next week. Is the "set and forget" method done at room temp or something colder?

I feel like I've really learned some things about flavors that disappear over time, and things that meld together.

Now that you've learned what it tastes like, STOP DRINKING GREEN BEER! My first few batches I did the same thing, drank some real early (uncarbed, unconditioned) and now the only time I drink green beer is when I am completely out of ungreen beer.

I'll be kegging for the first time next week. Is the "set and forget" method done at room temp or something colder?

Serving temperature at 12-14 psi. If you are going to keep at a different temperatures there are carbonation charts that tell you what pressure is equivalent.

Back