Vanilla flavored Vodka in Airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azlane

Reaction score
I heard that some put Vodka in the Airlock and was wondering if using Vanilla flavored Vodka would be OK since that is all that I have? Has anyone tried Rum or Scotch before?

I've used both vodka and sanitized water. I don't think it matters as long as it's something that won't harbor bacteria in case it ends up in the fermenter! On the same note, vanilla-flavored vodka in the airlock would be ok methinks. In the worst case scenario that an oz of vanilla vodka lands in the beer, it won't be enough to affect the taste of the beer.

Seems like a very slow way of getting rid of vanilla flavored vodka to me.
I'd use water in the airlock, and use the vodka as a fire lighter.

-a.

I just used a cherry vodka in my apfelwein airlock with no problemo (ran out of star san and plain vodka, dammit). Any drinkable alcohol would work. The worst case is a change in pressure which would pull some into your bucket, but it would more than a few drops to effect a few gallons.

use whatever alcohol you like in the air lock. The point of the spirits is so if your carboy does decide to suck back no harm no foul all sterile.

I would take a shot glass, fill it up with a shot of vodka, take your airlock and fill it with water to the line, take the shot glass and toss it back.

Back