GF Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patd

Reaction score
I was thinking of trying an oatmeal stout, using lcasanova's double chocolate stout as a starting point. Besides dropping the chocolate, any other suggestions?

He based that off my recipe. If it comes out like mine, expect it to be a dry stout. If you like something sweeter, you might adjust. I based mine from a good dry stout recipe to start with so it's a goodie with or without the cocoa and vanilla.

He based that off my recipe. If it comes out like mine, expect it to be a dry stout. If you like something sweeter, you might adjust. I based mine from a good dry stout recipe to start with so it's a goodie with or without the cocoa and vanilla.

Pretty loose basis. This one wasn't dry at all with the maltodextrin in there.

I would just drop the chocolate and go as is. Logan has some changes that he wants to make, I think dropping the IBUs some to balance the chocolate and upping the molasses. Your choice on those.

I posted my changes to the original on 10/23/10 that I thought would improve the beer. If I remember it was mostly cutting back on the ABV and chocolate and IBU's. The chocolate was very overpowering and it lent a fair amount of bitterness. However you decide to brew it, let us know what you changed and how it turned out!

Back