Can you Brew It recipe for Firestone Walker Pale 31

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

Pale 31 is a blended combination of 80% Mission Street Pale Ale and 20% Double Barrel Ale

Mission Street Pale Ale
OG 1044
IBUs 12.2
SRM 4.1

3.85kg Pale Malt 80%
720g Munich 15%
240g Carapils 5%

90 minute boil

7g Fuggles 4.75%AA at 90m
7g Chinook 13%AA at 30m
24g Cascade 6% at 0m
24g Centennial 10.5%AA at 0m
24g Centennial dry hop
24g Cascade dry hop

WLP002

Mash at 145F for 60m, 155F for 10m, then mash out

RO Water, gypsum and CaCl to 100ppm

Cool to 17C and pitch, raise to 19C after 24 hours.

Discussion Notes:
IBU is calculated lower due to the 45 minute whirlpool which provides not IBUs according to Rager. However, Chad did not use a long whirlpool, so he changed the hops to Chinook at 60m and Cascade/Centennial at 30m. Chad dry hopped at 5 days in primary and cold crashed at 10 days, kegged at 15 days. He did not that the sample he tasted after crashing did not taste right, but after carbing, that off-flavor went away.

Double Barrel Ale
OG 1051
IBUs 13
SRM 13.1

3.8kg British Pale Malt 68.2%
900g Marris Otter 16.2%
390g light munich 7%
340g crystal 75 6%
110g crystal 120 2%
30g chocolate malt 0.6%

90 minute boil

3g Magnum 14%AA at 75m
18g EKG 5%AA at 30m
22g EKG at 0m
22g Styrian Goldings or US Fuggles or Willamete or German Tradition) at 0m

WLP002

Mash at 145F for 60m, 155F for 15m, then mash out

RO Water. Add gypsum and CaCl to 100ppm

Cool to 63F and pitch, raise to 66F after 24 hours.

1.4oz american oak cubes (medium or medium plus) after 24 hours of fermentation.

Ferment for 15 days.

Discussion Notes:
This was deemed not cloned with a caveat. The tasters believed that the DBA commercial example was slightly sour and did not have the oak character that they remember for this beer. None could find anything that they would change about the recipe. Jamil said that he would call it cloned, and save some for further comparison to verify.

Tasty actually used 1.25oz american oak medium toast. He steamed the oak for about 10min, put them in a hop sack with marbles to sink in the conical.

I brewed the mission and followed the recipe exactly. I hit my OG, oxygenated and pitched a 1 liter starter as recommend by marmalty. I kegged and tested a sample today and the beer somehow finished at 1.006. I know the low initial mash was supposed to create a more fermentable wort but 85% attenuation seems kind of crazy. Anybody tried brewing this yet?

I haven't brewed this but I'm thinking about it. How did yours turn out? Did you keep the Chinook at 30 min and the Cascade/Centennial at 0 min, or did you move them to 60 min/30 min?

It looks like Mission and DBA have the same fermentation schedule so I'm wondering if I can brew Pale 31 by multiplying the amounts in Mission by .85 and the amounts in DBA by .15 to get a combined single-batch recipe. Anyone have any thoughts as to why this wouldn't work?

Did the brew by mixing batches. It has only had 1 week in the bottle as far (so the foam in not-so-great), but the taste was really nice. Both complex and light and really well balanced.

Cheers!:mug:

Back