What is the best fluid to put in the airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peregrine879

Reaction score
Should i just used the sanitized water. I also read that some people use cheap vodka since bacteria cannot grow in it.

I just use the starsan solution, since it's handy and made up on brew days.

Thanks I have the solution in it right now I was unsure if it any blow back could happen and the small amount of sanitizer get in there and ruin my small batch i have.

I was going to get some vladmir and use that since i can get a relatively big bottle for 8 bucks. That should last awhile and no one will touch that in the house.

Cheap vodka. I had a major case of suck-back in my last batch and I am glad that I used vodka over anything else.

On my latest batch, I used lemon juice. I figured the acidic environment would be inhospitable to bacteria and other crap, and because the fermenter was filled with a Belgian Wit, which already had zested lemon in it, if there was any suckback, all would be good.

Cheap Vodka. I use it in the airlock and I wipe it on the outside of my Wyeast packet before I open it.

I love buying the cheapest vodka possible, the one I got now is in a plastic bottle.

Back