Yeast From Local Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexdagrate

Reaction score
I called up my local micro-brewery and asked if I could have some leftover yeast for homebrewing. They were really cool about it and said yes.

I dropped off a sanitized mason jar and picked it up later that day. It was nice and full of active pale ale yeast.

It's currently in primary fermentation, it's one of the most vigorous and sustained fermentations I've seen.

Yeast prices are nuts right now at my LHBS, and I bet this stuff will be way better quality.

FYI, another local brewery I called was NOT into this idea at all and acted rather snide about it. Anyone calling your local brewery should prepare for different reactions from different brewers.

It was definitely worth it, since now I have a reliable hook-up for the best yeast I could hope for!

If they're using generic commercial yeast they probably won't have an issue. It's those that are using proprietary yeast that probably won't. I've gotten a few mason jars from a local. It's just 1056. And a mason jar every now and they isn't going to hurt them.

I know some of the local breweries around here offer their yeasts as well. I'm pretty sure they only offer generic stuff. I don't quite remember but I think Oscar Blues said they use WLP001 for most of their beers.

Even if it is a generic yeast, that's one less thing you need to buy and you know it hasn't been sitting on a shelf for months. Good score!

I score yeast every now and again from a local brew pub. It's just one more excuse to go there!:drunk:

Actually I've gotten to know the brewer. He is a font of information and always eager to talk brewing and beer.

I wonder if I can score some from Gordon Biersch's San Jose brewery.

I think it just all comes down to how personable the brewers are. If they're cool, approachable and like to talk beer with homebrewers, then your chance of being able to get yeast, buy a bag of grain or sack of hops off them are much higher.

cheers

~r~

I know some of the local breweries around here offer their yeasts as well. I'm pretty sure they only offer generic stuff. I don't quite remember but I think Oscar Blues said they use WLP001 for most of their beers.

Even if it is a generic yeast, that's one less thing you need to buy and you know it hasn't been sitting on a shelf for months. Good score!

Who is offering up their Yeast in Co? I have to know!!!

Back