My first beer festival!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishkid

Reaction score
In just a couple of hours I'll be heading off to the Michigan Summer Beer Festival in Ypsilanti, Michigan. This will be the first beer festival I've attended and don't really know what to expect. I've checked out the beer list and have kind of sort of picked a few of the beers I'd like to try.

Do people bring homebrew/craft brew and hang out before/afterwards? What's the deal?

There's supposed to be some rain on the way but the beer will flow regardless and I'm geeked. I hope to take lots of pictures and possibly keep my facebook/twitter updated throughout the day.

Anyone else going? :mug:

Curt

I live in Ypsi and will be headed that way myself in a couple of hours.

Home safe, going to go out and grab some food. Had a really good time! Great beer and good times!

Would love to hear more about it! I'm hoping maybe we'll go next year.

For as packed as it was, I can't believe how much fun I had. I usually don't like huge crowds like that and having to wait in lines etc...but beer drinkers are a different breed of people. You could always find someone to talk to in line and everyone was really friendly, good times...

I'll go through my pamphlet in a few minutes and try to mark down all of the beers I tasted. I will be going next year for sure! and probably to the Winter festival as well :tank:

Curt

I saw one on your Facebook, something about Chipotle Mango?

Yea, that was from B.O.B.'s Brewery, it was a Chipotle Mango Ale. It was spicy and made me hungry. It was interesting, I haven't had a pepper beer like that before. I'd consider making a batch because I think it would be something that would go quite well food.

Curt

Here is the list of the beers I had at the festival. I think there was only one that I really didn't like and that was Hopcat's Sage Against the Machine.

Arcadia Brewing Co. - Imperial Stout
New Holland Brewing Co. - Oak Aged Hatter
Michigan Brewing Co. - Badass American Lager
Big Rock Chop & Brewhouse - Oops-a-Hefe Imperial Hefeweizen
Atwater Block Brewery - Teufel Weizen Dopplebock
B.O.B.'S Brewery - Sugar Daddy Golden Saison
Frog Island Brewing Co. - Choco-Berry Porter
Hopcat - Sage Against the Machine Pale Ale
Mt. Pleasant Brewing Co. - Coal Stoker's Blackberry Fruit Beer
B.O.B.'S Brewery - Chipotle Mango Ale
Michigan Brewing Co. - High Seas IPA
Big Rock Chop & Brewhouse - Keller Bock
Michigan Brewing Co. - Nut Brown Ale
Traffic Jam and Snug - Hundredth Salmon ESB
Hideout Brewing Co. - Bootleg IPA
Original Gravity Brewing Co. - 440 Pepper Smoker
Grizzly Peak Brewing Co. - American Barleywine
Founders Brewing Co. - Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale

Curt

We just went to Michigan Brewing Co. for the first time yesterday, for our anniversary. (I am a super-nice wife!) My husband LOVED the High Seas IPA. (Way too hoppy for me, as are pretty much all IPAs.)

That Chipotle Mango sounds fascinating!

Back