1939 Kelvinator - side drill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natron008

Reaction score
I've got an ancient Kelvinator fridge that I'm looking to convert, and I'd really like to drill through the side instead of the door. Does anyone know where the coils run in a fridge this old? I'd really hate to puncture something.

Thanks.

coils are in the back arnt they? do you have a huge coil in the back? if not i am sure a google search woould give ya all the manuals and what not for these things.

do the corn starch/vodka test.

make a slurry from corn starch and cheap vodka, apply to side of fridge, let the fridge run for a bit. anywhere there are lines, the slurry will dry faster.

Thanks for your help. I'll try that slurry I guess. Is it really that obvious where the coils are/would be?

Thanks for your help. I'll try that slurry I guess. Is it really that obvious where the coils are/would be?

Based on the age of your fridge the condensor coil should be in the back or on the bottom, not inside the walls.

Did you check the back of the fridge as per pen25 idea?

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I haven't because because honestly, I have no idea what to even look for. I also think I've decided to just go ahead and punch through the door. If I do that, I can save a few small shelves inside (which is nice). But I may still be looking to punch through for my gas lines.

I'm gonna pull it out and install a grounded plug on it anyway, so I'll peek around a bit and see if I can see anything in the walls.

Thanks again for everyone's input. When it's finished I'll post pics.

Back