American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good brew day here - 1.052 OG after topping up a little. Probably should have left well enough alone:p Ah well, hops smelled great of course. This should be a good one!

Room temp hydro sample on day 10: awesome. FG: 1.011. Dryhops added today. Glad this was my choice for a pale ale over the Christmas season.:rockin:

For changes I am mostly concerned with the bitterness. My software is saying 60 IBU's which is a bit more more than most Pale Ales. Anyone have any comments on the bitterness as is on the recipe?

Maybe it is the 90 minute boil input causing their higher IBU's than this recipe shows on the first page.

Is everyone boiling this 60 or 90 minutes?

Mind sharing the updated hop schedule?
No changes from the OP. My official IBUs in BS were 52.9. I plugged in the actual Alpha and Beta values on my hops' packaging.

BS_LWpaleale.jpg

Definitely don't fear the IBUs with this one style-wise, at least from one brewer's experience. This has a softer bitterness than the lower IBU RR Row 2 Hill 56 clone I made (also in this forum). Just tasted them back to back, and its not really even very close subjectively. Was intrigued after sharing with a coworker who preferred the RR recipe, thus the comparison. (Just to be clear he liked them both a lot.)

Great beer here though, with more hop aroma and malt flavor IMO. My takeaway I guess is that the higher AA Simcoe has a crisper, sharper bitterness than Amarillo. Both recipes come in around 20-ish IBUs from the bittering addition, although obviously the malt bill is different too.

Thinking about brewing this next week. If I were to sub Victory for the toasted malt, would I sub the same amount or cut back on the Victory?
Also, from a taste perspective, by subbing Victory would the taste be much altered compared to toasting the malt myself?

is there a commercial APA similar to this?

is there a commercial APA similar to this?
I don't know about others but I am reminded of Dales Pale Ale when I have this. Not the same when you eyeball the recipes of course, but I would lump them into the same general look, taste, and feel. JMHO. This is a tasty brew!

I don't know about others but I am reminded of Dales Pale Ale when I have this. Not the same when you eyeball the recipes of course, but I would lump them into the same general look, taste, and feel. JMHO. This is a tasty brew!

Thanks. I like Dales so I'll give this one a try.

Gathered up everything to brew this over the weekend :)

Will check off lots of firsts:
  • first time: full volume boil
  • first time: 5 gallon AG batch
  • first time: brewing with Amarillo

My plan is to follow the recipe exactly as the Dude has it. Question about the boil time / hop schedule. If I start a 90 min boil, my first hop additions essentially go in 30 minutes later, or at the "60 minutes remaining" mark?

Yes, first hops after 30 minutes of boiling. Or you could adjust for a 60 minute boil instead of 90. I think most people are only doing 60

I have a lb of Amarillo and a lb of Simcoe so this'll probably be my next brew, but I'm going to sub Maris for 2-row (it's what I have).

I have a question for the people who subbed Maris otter for the 2-row, did you still toast part of the malt or just skip that step?

I tapped this last night after letting it sit in secondary for 8 weeks. Aside from that I followed the recipe to a T. The aroma is amazing and makes you think it'll be way hoppy when you're about to take a sip. The body is medium light and there is a wonderfully subtle "toasty-ness" up front. It then gives away to a nice earthy bitterness and a pineapple-y, citrus-y, finish. The flavor and balance are fantastic.

This is by far the best beer I've ever made. Thanks 'Dude'. :rockin:

Getting ready to brew this for the first time and I've got a few questions that I didn't see answered yet.

1. Is one package of US-05 enough? beersmith is telling me that I should pitch two packets.

2. What water profile did you use? or what numbers should I shoot for in the different categories (sulfates, calcium...)?

Can't believe this recipe is still being brewed! You guys are making my head big (ger)!
I have 10 gallons in my conical as we speak...just dry hopped yesterday. I'll post a pic on the first pint!

Zeemos:

For 5 gallons 1 packet is enough.

Just use your standard water adjustments for a pale ale/ipa. I'm not sure what your water profile is but tailor it to what you do for your bitter (ish) beers.

One thing everyone thinks right away when they brew this beer is that 50 ibus it's gonna be bitter as hell...but it always seems really soft.

Dude,
Some of the feedback I got from my buddies is that they love the dry hop aroma. It almost smells of cannibus. And that they think it's gonna be really bitter but the after taste is a smooth bitterness that makes you want more. My 5 gallons is gonna go quick.
Tim

I had a couple bombers of this tucked in a corner in the basement, over 4 months old. Drinking one now and it is just a delicious APA. I've got some commercial APAs on hand and this holds its own against them in every way.

Just bottled my nth batch of this delicious reliable brew. I keep coming back to, and continue to love it. Thanks Dude!

Amarillo is quite expensive at the moment.
Anything I could use instead for the 60 min addition or would it be recommended not to change anything?

I have no idea what Amarillo is like as a bittering hop.
But I have Target, Summit, Columbus, Magnum, Aurora, El dorado, East Kent, Taurus.

Thanks!

:fro:

Amarillo is quite expensive at the moment.
Anything I could use instead for the 60 min addition or would it be recommended not to change anything?

I have no idea what Amarillo is like as a bittering hop.
But I have Target, Summit, Columbus, Magnum, Aurora, El dorado, East Kent, Taurus.

Thanks!

:fro:

I'd go with Magnum. The 60 minute addition doesn't add much at all in terms of flavor so it doesn't matter too much. Definitely wouldn't waste Amarillo on a 60 minute addition.

Think I am going to brew this on Wednesday but have some questions.

I don't want to waste Amarillo on a bittering addition and have Warrior, Chinook, Centennial, Cascade that I could replace it with for a bittering. Any suggestions on which would be best?

I will probably sub 2-Row with Maris Otter since I have about 50lbs of that. I have a bout a pound and a half of victory to replace the toasted malt. Would Maris and Victory be a good replacement or should I toast some Maris?

Has anyone brewed a lighter colored version? Was thinking about using Crystal 20L or 40L instead of 60L just to lighten up the appearance a little. Will this affect flavor at all?

arnobg, Among your choices, Centennial is closest in alpha acids. Since you're embracing substitutions, the victory would probably be fine. For the crystal, I wouldn't jump down to 20L. I love this recipe as written. If you have never brewed it, please try it without alteration so you have a baseline of what a great ale it is.

arnobg, Among your choices, Centennial is closest in alpha acids. Since you're embracing substitutions, the victory would probably be fine. For the crystal, I wouldn't jump down to 20L. I love this recipe as written. If you have never brewed it, please try it without alteration so you have a baseline of what a great ale it is.

Will do thanks! Do you think I should just toast the Maris Otter instead of subbing the toasted malt for Victory?

It doesn't take much to toast, so why not? I distribute it onto two rimmed half sheet pans and toast for 20 minutes at 265 in a convection oven, rotating pans, stirring,
and swapping racks after ten minutes. I believe the recipe calls for 275 for 30 minutes.

Anyone have suggestions for a water profile on this beer? I have pretty soft water s can build just about whatever I need. Haven't done a pale ale yet since I have been playing with water chemistry.

Since I have no input on water profiles I'll probably shoot for 150 range in the sulfate department to get the hops to shine a bit.

Toasted the 2-row today. Decided to stick with that rather than the Maris Otter which would maybe darken it more than I wanted. Baked 30 minutes @ 275F on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet. At 15 minutes I stirred/mixed it up to try and make sure it stayed even. Here's the result:

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463504154.370446.jpg

What you see here is a little comparison of the plain 2-row on the left and toasted on the right. You can see there is a slight toasty golden color to it in comparison. A taste test of both grains revealed an amazing toasty/bready flavor from the toasted grain.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463504222.037527.jpg

Hadn't brewed this in a while, but got it done today!! Christened my new BIAB indoor electric system with this beer. Did a 5-6G batch and hit the numbers on the nose. Tweaked the hops a bit, moving them later in the boil or to whirlpool and added some Gypsum to make 'em shine. Pitched a big slug of 05, so expect this will be fermenting well when I wake up tomorrow. It's been 4 years since I brewed this and I am wondering why, as my taste notes all say this was fantastic!! Cheers all!

Edit: Just checked the fermenter and it is bubbling away 2 hours after I pitched. Wow!!

Just tapped this. Yummy!! I made a few changes, mainly with hops...added them to primary vice secondary, which I did not do, and increased them by ~50% because I had some older hops I needed to use up and thought they might have lost something in the freezer. I pitched a healthy slug of yeast that was at high krausen, and it took off like a bullet! Bubbling in less than 2 hours, in fact. I overshot my FG by 9 points so this is a little less sweet and higher in alcohol than I was shooting for...but all in all I am very happy with it! Grain to glass in 11 days as that S05 was potent. Ended up with about 6.5-7G as I am using a new setup (like I do almost every brewday...really got to stop changing things!) and am dialing it in. This beer is so crushable! Thanks again for the recipe, Dude!

Look whose recipe made it to mobcraftbeer:
https://www.mobcraftbeer.com/preorder

I've never Brewer lake walk (I've had if a few times though) but this is hardly Dude's recepie. I do not believe 2 lbs of victory could bring you close to the slight biscuity and nutty flavor the 20% or so of toasted malt brings.

Dudes brew this beer but don't add victory in place of toasted barley.

I should have mine kegged here in a few days. Wish I would have not been lazy and used my normal 1056 instead of US-05 though because I'm not liking how hazy it is looking.

Unfortunately mobcraftbeer did not post the recipe correctly, despite my submitting it to them correctly.

Back