Anyone in mid missouri?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midmobrewer

Reaction score
Hi all, new to HBT even though i've been reading a lot on here. Also new to brewing, wife bought me a mr. Beer kit for christmas and after my first batch i'm ready to upgrade to a 5 gallon set-up. I live in moberly and was wondering if there's anybody in my area.

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Home Brew mobile app

In KC here, so closer than most on here but still not terribly close. You looking to do extract, partial mash or all grain with your 5 gallon setup?

I use to drive thru Moberly several times a year on trips to visit my great grandfather in nearby Meadville. Welcome to the obsession of home brewing!!!

I hope to eventually be an ag brewer but i'll prolly buy a 5 gallon kit from northern brewer and do partials. Also on my buylist is a new deep freeze (wife wont let me use our current one) for fermenting

Any LHBS in the area or is KC or STL the only options?

Columbia has two options. One is hyvee on conley road has a small selection of dme and kits, decent selection of specialty grains. Pretty good hop lineup. Only dry yeast at this time but said they were wanting to get liquid yeast in, however any dry yeast i've needed is in stock. They have an ok selection of brewing equipment. Having said all that its a small area in the liquor dept so I'm pleased with it plus stuff is usually pretty fresh. Prices are very reasonable. Bocomo bay is another option. They have a larger stock of everything, but not as fresh and i've noticed sometimes the date stickers get pasted over with new later date stickers. They do have wyeast smack packs (last time I was in there it was awhile ago so not sure if that's still the case). The prices are jacked up at bocomo bay and it is also a head shop so that's a big turn off for me.

Thanks for the tip i will check out hy-vee next time i go to como. I heard about bocomo but i thought it was closed due to their legal issues they currently have.

Bocomo bay very well may be closed. Once I discovered hyvee has hb supplies I haven't gone back to bocomo bay, to be honest I never liked them, but thought if you needed brew equipment you could use them, and they had/have(?) more base grain and extract. I would stick to hyvee.

I'm just west of warrensburg. Finding supplies away from kc or st Louis is a little tuff. I have got to where I keep a supply of anything I might need on hand.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Hello, midmobrewer. I live in Columbia but rarely buy locally. Every time I call either HyVee or Bocomo Bay they don't have what I am looking for. I usually end up ordering from Northern Brewer or High Gravity Brewing. Both have excellent selection and service and quick shipping. Happy brewing!

I, and several others are here in kirksville or Macon. We have started a club (KGB, kirksville guild of brewers) here in kirksville, a bit if a drive I know, but we're here if you have any questions!

Hello to all Central Mo brewers. I'm a Jefferson City Resident myself, but I am in Columbia quite often as that is where my office is located.

And yeah, BoCoMo is quite sketch. I think the proprietor was recently incarcerated due to a side business involving the distribution of artificial marijuana.

HyVee is ok if you are in a pinch, but I generally avoid them as their selection is quite small, and I'm about 95% sure that the last can of extract that I purchased there was about 2 years past expiration.

Your best bet for supplies is to plan well ahead, and order. Lucky for me my brother in-law is one of my co-brewers and he lives in StL. Other than than Midwest and Northern Brewer are my two major suppliers.

I recently went all grain and have become quite accustomed to purchasing the 50lb sacks of base malt when im in StL. If all you need to order are the specialty grains, hops and yeast then the price of shipping isn't too bad.

My advice if you are going to be a mid Mo brewer, move to all grain as fast as is reasonable, plan ahead, and buy in bulk.

Cheers.

Hi, If you plan to be in St Louis, check out the prices from Kent Robertson of MOMalt.com. Kent has a great selection of malt, hops, yeast, and brewing equipment. Buying grain in bulk at his prices is great. The current group buy is due Feb 21st. Group buys are the way to get the best prices.

I don't think he ships, but I know there are a couple of folks who drive in from Rolla and Columbia. Contact him via his web site and ask him.

Paul

I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but I too am in MidMo. Columbia, specifically, from Moberly originally.

Just getting back into homebrewing after having done a few batches a couple years back. Took some time to explore more styles of beer, read up, sample more beer, and sample yet more beer.

Welcome to the forums! Great information and so far some great people.

Hey all, I'm in Como too. I usually bought from Midwest since it was cheaper. I won't have to worry about that anymore, since I'm going pro! I will be a brewer at Bur Oak Brewing Company, and we hope to help out homebrewers in the area. I will keep you posted! Anyone going to the beer festival tomorrow?

Hey all, I'm in Como too. I usually bought from Midwest since it was cheaper. I won't have to worry about that anymore, since I'm going pro! I will be a brewer at Bur Oak Brewing Company, and we hope to help out homebrewers in the area. I will keep you posted! Anyone going to the beer festival tomorrow?

Ill be at the festival! Hope its not as crowded as the last one.

Hey, I'm in midmo to. In Ashland, between Jefferson City and Columbia. I'm new to brewing as well. I just started my first batch.

To the Missouri brewers - is there anyone here who also rides bikes? The MS-150 is coming into Columbia in September and I usually bring out 30-40 gallons of beer for our team. We're always looking for more riders and being a brewer would add to our already team high of 4 brewers.

So if you're a home brewing, beer drinking, bike rider, come join us!

Reply here if you would like more information.

Paul

Lots in my family are bikers. Its something i've always wanted to do but wife said i cant get one till she gets a can am

We are in Hillsboro, just south of St. Louis. Just moved into a larger location with more stock, not all on the web site yet, thats a work in progress.
Shipping to mid-Mo is almost next day depending where you live. We have $10 flat rate shipping on most stuff ( except bottles and 50 lb bags of grain) smaller stuff can go USPS for less.
Let me know what you need, we'll get it to you.

To the Missouri brewers - is there anyone here who also rides bikes? The MS-150 is coming into Columbia in September and I usually bring out 30-40 gallons of beer for our team. We're always looking for more riders and being a brewer would add to our already team high of 4 brewers.

Paul

Im a brewer and cyclist in south city... but im afraid ive been more serious about training for a marathon than a long bike ride. But I might be interested in some of training rides. Less than 50 miles anyway. Im workimg on getting the chubby off of me ;-)

Paul

I cannot ride this year as SWMNBO is heading out of town and left me with the kids that weekend. I'm in Columbia and homebrew.... Never done the 150, but have done several centuries and a full IM. I may have to join up your team next year... I keep telling people there needs to be more beer drinking after workouts!

TIM

Beer is a great recovery drink!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

For long runs I like a beer and energy bar in prep of a run. Plenty of clean calories and a load of carbs. And if my long runs happen in the morning a nice little a.m. buzz makes me feel like im flying. :D

We have a nice brew club in Kirksville area, the KGB, and are always welcome to new members and Brewers.

Back