Plastic vs. Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gosassin

Reaction score
Hi all - got a question regarding the safety of different bottling options. I have a bottle of McCormick's Root Beer extract that I want to make, and I have a whole lot of glass beer bottles at my disposal. However, since there's no primary/secondary fermentation period where the yeast can go nuts and settle down, it seems like it could be risky to let it do that in glass bottles - for fear of bottle bombs, etc. What's the consensus, soda makers? Thanks for your insight.

The McCormicks extract is pretty good stuff BTW.

You won't be fermenting this stuff out. You mix as per instructions then add yeast, then bottle immediately.

That is why you don't want to use glass bottles. Plastic bottles is what I use as I can squeeze and tell when it is time to place in fridge(~2-4days).

Glass could explode on you, therefore avoid at all cost.

Good luck

Edit: Be aware that the bottles tend to have the root beer scent despite washing them out. Bleach does help, but the smell can be tenacious.

if you do use glass, make sure you have a test bottle or 2 of plastic so you can get an idea of how long to let them forment. i use glass but i make sure i use at least one plastic bottle. hope this helps.

Back