Hockey, anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston

Reaction score
Calling all hockey fans! Where ya from and who do you pull for?
Me?
Boston Bruins fan since 1967, been a big fan of the Carolina Hurricanes since they moved to Raleigh in '97
Jeff

Huge hockey fan but not the NHL.

I played in high school and even got a scholarship to a small WI college but I chose the AF instead.

As for the NHL, I totally lost interest after the lockout. It isn't fun to watch a bunch of millionaire crybabies anymore. I'd much rather watch and talk about college hockey.

When I was an NHL fan, I followed the Minnesota North Stars until they moved, then I followed the Blackhawks. I was a Hawks freak for a few years but also tired of dollar Bill never wanting to spend money to improve the team. After Roenick left, I bailed too.

I live & die with the Black & Gold!! (the boston bruins for those not in the know) I'm on a working vacation in Fla right now, but not getting much done with all these breaks to watch the olympics:D

Dude,
Are you familiar with the Hampton Roads Admirals of the ECHL? They used to come to Raleigh back in early '90s to play the Icecaps. Now THAT was hockey! They played for the love of the game 'cause Lord knows they were making barely enough to survive. Tickets were $8, beer was $3, parking was free.
Jeff

Not a big hockey fan though I do follow the local Dayton Bombers. Im not sure what league they play in but the ECHL sorta sounds familier. I can't stand watching it on tv but going to a game in person is a whole lotta fun. Went with a couple buddies of mine to a bunch of Ohio State hockey games a couple years ago and it opened my eyes to hockey a little, before then i hated it. I gotta say the OSU-Michigan hockey game was just as intense as anyhting you'd se on the football field

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
Dude,
Are you familiar with the Hampton Roads Admirals of the ECHL? They used to come to Raleigh back in early '90s to play the Icecaps. Now THAT was hockey! They played for the love of the game 'cause Lord knows they were making barely enough to survive. Tickets were $8, beer was $3, parking was free.
Jeff

We go quite frequently! The parking is still free, the stadium is actually quite nice, and tix are still pretty cheap. It is always a good time.

To be honest, I actually preferred the ECHL when the Icecaps were in Raleigh because I could actually afford to go. Went to opening night and way more Icecaps games than I've been to Canes games (2).

I read in the Boston Globe a few weeks ago that they were considering building an outdoor hockey rink right smack dab in the middle of Fenway Park. BU & BC would host Michigan, MSU, Wiconsin, Minnesota (or whoever) in a double-header under the lights. That would be cool, I'd fly up for that.

Hippie, have you heard any more on this?

BeeGee, I agree with you on the Icecaps. Good, physical hockey at an affordable price.

Russia vs. Canada on the tube right now....and I'm lucky to be home with a sick kid today. YES!
Jeff

I can't say I have seen this story about fenway, but I'm away right now, and was out of work (seasonal) for a few weeks before I left, so I wasn't reading the paper at the breakfast place... It doesn't seem feesable this year though, there isn't ice anywhere, just too warm... Maybe college rollerhockey?:D

Of course English hockey counts... I think they won gold in the olympics, I want to say in '40, but that seems unlikely as the country was a little busy (but never occupied;) ) at the time. I'll check it out...

Cheyco said:
Sorry to hear about Team USA guys. Nice of the fins to do the Canucks dirty-work!

:)

Alright you guys, flame-on. What a poor showing from Canada. Sometimes I hate the olympic format of team selection. 'Team' Canada looked like a bunch of single players skating around which is exactly what they were. I'd really like to see how a team which has played together for a full year whould do. Too bad there weren't more Canucks on the Flames.
Drat.
Not to take anything away from the Russkies though, they played really well and deserved the win.

yeah, no north americans into th semis... Hard to believe the canadians went 1 for 29 on the power play:eek:

BB, sorry Gerber's streak didn't continue for you... but now he can get some rest before picking up in carolina again

Hey BostonBrewin',
the Semi finals are tommorow, is your "kid still sick"? or do you think you caught whatever they had?:D

BTW there is a LHBS in Beverly, Ma that shares your monicer

Hippie said:
Hey BostonBrewin',
the Semi finals are tommorow, is your "kid still sick"? or do you think you caught whatever they had?:D

Since USA & Canada are out of contention I've kinda lost interest.

BTW there is a LHBS in Beverly, Ma that shares your monicer

And all this time I'm thinking how clever I was to mix hometown hockey & brewing.
Jeff

Back